Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I got my 94 caprice 4.3L last year and have loved the B-body ever since.
I'm dedicated to keeping it on the road for as long as possible.
Do you know if your L99 Caprice has a GU2 / 2.73, GW9 / 2.93, or OR GU5 / 3.23 axle?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Caprice Classic L99
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe you have an 'early' '94 Caprice L99.
By '95 (if not before), the standard rear axle for L99 Caprices was GW9 / 2.93.
If I remember right the door placard says it was built in early 94 so you are probably right. Are there any other differences between late and early model l99 caprices?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
If I remember right, the door placard says it was built in early '94, so you are probably right.
Are there any other differences between late and early model L99 caprices?
Please post a few underhood pics?

Not specific to L99 Caprices, but specific to all 'early' B- & D-bodies ...

IFF you have the ORIGINAL 'early' '94 coolant reservoir, it has provisions for two hoses on top.
By '95, the coolant reservoir only had one hose provision.
Don't remember when new coolant reservoirs with two hose provisions became unavailable, but it happened fairly quickly.

Not the ISSF's most literate SPI decoder, but, based on GU2 / 2.73 (superceded by 2.93 by '95):
axle is the 'smaller' 7.625" axle (what's the RPO for this? Idunno)
rear brakes are the 'smaller' 9.5" diameter drums ('cause I don't recognize those brake RPOs)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm dedicated to keeping it on the road for as long as possible.
A southern car with low mileage--nice. With maintenance and protection from sun you can keep it running and looking good for decades.

·
Registered
1994 Caprice Classic L99
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please post a few underhood pics?

Not specific to L99 Caprices, but specific to all 'early' B- & D-bodies ...

IFF you have the ORIGINAL 'early' '94 coolant reservoir, it has provisions for two hoses on top.
By '95, the coolant reservoir only had one hose provision.
Don't remember when new coolant reservoirs with two hose provisions became unavailable, but it happened fairly quickly.

Not the ISSF's most literate SPI decoder, but, based on GU2 / 2.73 (superceded by 2.93 by '95):
axle is the 'smaller' 7.625" axle (what's the RPO for this? Idunno)
rear brakes are the 'smaller' 9.5" diameter drums ('cause I don't recognize those brake RPOs)
It is the older type for sure. I'll post more photos of the body and under hood after work today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts