Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a lot of the Sticky's on here and there is some really great help that I have seen so far. In fact that is where I got my idea to order the Monroe SS Shocks which I have been very pleased with.

Now I am in need of replacing my Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends, Idler Arm and Center Link. I am wondering what the best is to go with. Moog has a kit for $224.00 for all the Tie Rod Ends and Ball joints the Idler Arm through Moog is $43.00 and the Center Link is $82.50. Does this seem reasonable and is Moog a good choice? Have heard some say the AC Delco Center Link's they thought were junk but I have no opinion or idea so that's why I am asking about Moog. I typically order through RA so AC Delco has been good to me as well.

Additionally, should I replace my UCA's and LCA's too or is that something that can wait if I am primarily concerned with my alignment for when I am needing new tires coming up here in the next few months.

Thanks, any and all info is greatly appreciated as always.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
I got the Monroe SS shocks on the front for now when the bilstein Shock leaked and been happy with them so far for the money.

Sounds like you got a good plan and I don't think you can go wrong with Moog parts or even Proforged through Summit Racing. As for pricing, it's been a while but back when I did all of this, I found it best to get the part numbers and just browse the web for the best prices.

As for the control arms, as long as they are not damaged, I would just consider reusing them. Be sure to check the area where the end link mounts as these do get wallowed out a little at times. But if you decide to keep the arms and doing all this work, I would seriously consider at least installing new bushings. Yo could stick with stock or upgrade to the Poly bushings. I have the polys and have no issues with them on my street car. Some people just can't stand anything poly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, appreciate the help. Why can some not stand Poly? I have never used them but I would think they are better and last longer no? So if I install new bushings will I have to remove the control arms and coil springs or can it be done without that going through all that?

I know it's pretty straight forward on removing springs but when I replaced the springs and shocks on my 66 ss impala it was a Beach! Those things did not want to come out. Granted the car was originally from Illinois so it has seen its share of Rust.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Thanks, appreciate the help. Why can some not stand Poly? I have never used them but I would think they are better and last longer no? So if I install new bushings will I have to remove the control arms and coil springs or can it be done without that going through all that?

I know it's pretty straight forward on removing springs but when I replaced the springs and shocks on my 66 ss impala it was a Beach! Those things did not want to come out. Granted the car was originally from Illinois so it has seen its share of Rust.
On Poly - I don't know, I just think some feel they Squeak too much or are harsher than rubber. I think they ride fine and believe the Squeaking issue is either due to lack of lube or they tightened everything up without the suspension loaded and put the bushings in a bind. Also, energy suspension sells their bushing with graphite impregnated in them so you can have graphite babies >:).....no, it's so they are less prone to squeaking.

On bushing replace - yes, you will need to remove the arms from the car. But at least then you can paint them and call them NEW. >:). Not difficult to do if you already have the front end tore apart. There are lots of videos online to check out how it's done. I modified a little from what I saw and it worked real well with no muss or smoking rubber. I describe things pretty well in this link as to how I replaced mine.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/17-suspension/351769-my-5-8-bj-install-pics-tips-part-s.html

The last time I did CA bushing I took them to a shop and paid $75 to do them for me. But with the Loanatool program at most part houses, you can do these yourself without too much of an investment.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I like the idea of upgrading from 9/16's to 5/8's. Huge difference. I did not have time to read it all will have to later tonight after work. Great idea. I did not even know that was an option. Appreciate the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts