Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could really use some help on this one. My 94 caprice has been having an issue where the Compressor stops working. At first i noticed if i went outside and tapped the clutch it would kick back on but minutes later it would turn off again. A friend lent me his old computer from back in his dealer days. I plugged it in and went for a drive. When the A/c would stop working it would show the compressor should be on. What I found out though is the voltage to the A/C would be around .56 volts. If I would floor the gas, the voltage would rise back to 2.0 volts and the compressor would kick back in. But after a while the voltage would drop down again < 1 volt and the compressor would be off again. What would casuse this? Bad relay, ground wire? I have no idea and its weird that once I floor the car it kicks back in.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
My first impulse is the relay. If the engine ground is bad, it could be that also. If you have the zinc post on the under hood fuse box, it could cause the symptom as well.

When you accelerate, the alternator tends to make a little more voltage than when at rest, and that would show a greater percentage of change at the AC compressor than in general.

If there is a poor connection in the system, the resistance is dropping the remaining voltage. That should produce heat at the point of resistance. You may be able to measure it with an infrared (aim and read) thermometer, depending on where it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Fred and 95Wagon
I tried the relay since it was the quick repair. Unfortunately while driving to work this morning it cut out again. I will try to clean up the zinc post this evening. If that fails to remedy the issue, I'll change out the clutch. I've never done a clutch swap. Will I lose the refrigerant out of the compressor if I change out the clutch?

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Replace the zinc post with a brass one. DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE THE ZINC POST IT IS A FIRE HAZARD.

You can remove and replace the AC clutch without losing any refrigerant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts