Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been presented with a possible deal on a spare fuel pump for the 94 Fleetwood I'm working on. How much of a pain in the arse is it to change the fuel pump out off the fuel pump hanger assembly on this car? Didn't see anything in search. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Not a Caddy Guy but the sending unit looks the same as the Caprice/Impala.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sgt-sp128c1h/overview/make/cadillac/model/fleetwood

So removal of the FP from the Sending unit should be exactly the same and should be able to follow most FP replace instructions here. Be sure to check the "Refurb" thread as well while it is removed.

But to answer your question, Once the entire assembly is removed from the tank, Remove the Filter Sock from the bottom of the pump, then remove the Plastic Lid from the top of the pump. It just has 4 plastic locking tabs. then the Pump itslef should pull right out of the housing.

BE SURE to evaluate the internal wiring very well. I think most FP related issues are due to bad intank wiring/connections.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Make sure you are getting a good brand of pump. There are some bad manufacturers of pumps for these cars. Let someone on here know what brand it is before you install it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure you are getting a good brand of pump. There are some bad manufacturers of pumps for these cars. Let someone on here know what brand it is before you install it.
It's a Bosch turbine pump - I've had good luck with those in the past on other cars. Are there issues with those on these vehicles?

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
I have a 92 OCC, The pump is a little different on it, but I have not had any good things to say about Bosch. I put one in about 7 years ago, and it lasted a month. I replaced it for free, and that one lasted a year and a half. I have since put an AC Delco., or Delphi pump in it, and it is still there.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have a 92 OCC, The pump is a little different on it, but I have not had any good things to say about Bosch. I put one in about 7 years ago, and it lasted a month. I replaced it for free, and that one lasted a year and a half. I have since put an AC Delco., or Delphi pump in it, and it is still there.
It was on sale at Amazon for about $25 and we already pulled the trigger on it. -shrug- Had good luck with Bosch turbine pumps in other vehicles, so that's the type we got. Their old style pumps, not so much.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Why do you think it was on sale do cheap on Amazon?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why do you think it was on sale do cheap on Amazon?
Amazon Warehouse Deals - unused returned items or items with damaged packaging at huge discounts. We picked up a bunch of North American made Delco parts for the car for up to 80% off - should we also consider these crap for the same reason? :p

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
The AC Delco parts are probably good. Other brands may or may not be as good as OEM.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
From my experience and what I've read based on others experience, I would only trust 2 brands....Delco and Walbro. Having done the "tank Drop" dance more times than I care to remember, using a inexpensive Fuel Pump based on the cost alone is not a good way to evaluate your choices. Also, do your research on where you purchase from. I know Delco has some counterfeit parts out there that can look legit and even Walbro recommends on their website that you buy only directly from them since there are also knock-offs of their pumps going on and sold on sites like Ebay.

I used to recommend Racetronix Pumps but they switched over from Walbro to their own brand (Turbine-tech) and I find them to be....jury is still out on mine as it still works but another member had one literally burn up and melt. They do offer some other very nice Fuel System products for our car (wiring kits) but their Customer Service is NOT great and difficult to deal with.

But if money is the primary reason for the call, then only you can decide that and just be aware it could cost you more money in the long run....break down while away from home, Towing costs, aggravation (what's that worth?) and just an overall PITA to do again.

Whatever you choose to install, just be sure to thoroughly and closely inspect the In tank wiring and Connections. I know I mentioned this before, but I cant emphasize this enough. Good Luck with your repairs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just to add to this... I stopped using all Bosch pumps a few years ago after having 3 separate comebacks. A couple of other shops with whom I traded work with had similar experiences. Bosch plugs were an issue too.

Most of the time when people tell me that "X parts are crap" I don't think much of it - mass productions makes things cheaper, so even a .2% defect rate means plenty of people with bad parts and lots of angry online and in-person reviews.

I personally hate doing a fuel pump, as with my luck it always happens with a full tank of gas. When I replace it, I try to put one in that I'm not going to have to look at again anytime soon. On these cars, having a cheap, spare pump in the trunk is only useful if you're also carrying everything you need to drop the tank.

One thought: I had a spare fuel pump for a Jeep I sold, I plumbed in some fittings and now have a fluid transfer pump that I use to suck trans fluid out of dipsticks, oil out of differentials, old fuel out of tanks, moto oil changes, etc. Very useful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts