Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to posting in the forums. So far all the work I’ve done has been possible with the info I’ve gathered from reading you guys’ post. Had some issues with misfiring, lack of power and bad idling. Found some loose spark plugs and burnt wires. Ended up cutting frame braces Deleting AIR, EGR tube from manifold, adding summit headers, new plugs and wires. Waterpump had a leak along with front crank seal which had the optispark soaked. Pulled and replaced both along with crank and op seals. Bolted everything up and now no start. Turns over and pops out the open headers but doesn’t start. Checked fuel pressure with key in on position, right at 42 psi. the o2 are not plugged in but it should start right? Optispark fit like a glove.
Just tested pulled plug #1 and had wet fuel on it. Grounded it to block while someone cranked it and it’s a small orange spark. The opti came from summit. There’s definitely some sparking as I can see light coming from the headers while trying to turn over. Removing the new opti tomorrow and trying the old one. I know that one was working enough to at least start the car. Any other tips?

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Spark and gas and still no start = ::spock:: Fascinating. First knee-jerk would be flooded, but you just don't hear of that anymore post-carb era. I didn't check but didn't you mention in your other thread that you're gonna do plugs/wires with the opti out? I say go ahead do those along with swapping in the old opti and hope for the best. It'll at least air out any gas in the cyls. If it works then great. You can dissect the new opti for glitches and reuse or return. If it don't start with the orig. opti then start pouring over all the sensors and elec. signals needed for starting v. the ones just causing bad running. I really don't which ones, but definite are IC and ICM, other suspects MAY be MAF, MAP, IAT, even TPS and ETC?

·
Registered
925 Posts
I an sure others have more experience than I do but I have read here that it is worth the time to charge the battery then pull the fuel injector fuses and crank extra fuel out of the engine then try starting it again.

Injector pulses and spark are indicators that the OPTI is connecting to the PCM. It only proves the low res signal is present, but not the high res signal. These cars have "limp home" programing for most of the sensors being unplugged but they work better with TPC and MAF plugged in.

The question I always ask is: Do you have the firing order correct? It is not hard to mess up a wire or four.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plugs and wires are new. When installing the opti i noticed it had three slots for the cam bolts and a small indention that seemed to line up on the cam. I don’t think it allowed it to be installed improperly but I dont think I struggled enough either. When the opti went in it went all the way flush and didn’t need to be pulled on by bolts. Could it still sit flush and be installed wrong? The $&@[email protected]$ harmonic balancer will not come off this time and my back is killing me from trying to remove it again. I tried to start at wot( heard that shuts off injectors but still no go. Anyone know which fuses control the injectors? My fuse panel doesn’t say close to inj...thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
225 Posts
You could just pull the fuel pump relay/fuse to "kill" the injectors - it's in the underhood power distribution center on the right side up by the firewall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts