Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past, the discussion about brown discoloration of 94+ Caprice dash tops culminated in a recommendation to use (a) certain cleaner(s) to remove the discoloration, which was apparently something coming through from underneath the top surface.

Now I have 2 96 RMWs. One has very slight discoloration, perhaps as much brown as grey, right by the outer corners where Caprices typically get this. The other one has it much more all-over, and more grey than brown. (This, incidentally, sprouted rather too quickly after I bought the car, and coincided with a quick loss of color off the center armrest, too. So there's certainly a chance that the good color I saw for a few weeks was a dealer special treatment - but even so, the original discoloration might still be a standard feature of the particular dash material.)

And that's my question: If I wash at this (if I knew what the recommended cleaner was - Fantastik spray?) on a 94+ RMW, am I just going to be removing more paint, or am I going to be removing crud?
Should I be painting instead? If so, is there a paint/dye that matches the slightly greyish RM blue, and doesn't add unhealthy gloss?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Simple Green took alot of the brown discoloration out of my dash. Unfortunately for me it did not remove it all and I had to have it repainted. It did however take all the brown out of the arm rests on the doors and center council.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Simple Green took alot of the brown discoloration out of my dash. Unfortunately for me it did not remove it all and I had to have it repainted. It did however take all the brown out of the arm rests on the doors and center council.
I reckon I'll try that on the less-blemished one, and see how it does while I figure out the painting.

Remove it, clean it the best you can, prep it then use S.E.M spray dye and it'll look better then new.
Does anyone have a part number for the best match for the 94-96 RM blue, and photos how it looks next to the OEM color?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I used Awesome degreaser and it worked very well.

I used the Duplicolor dark charcoal, then wet sanded it. It turned out very good considering it was done in my bathroom cwm4

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used Awesome degreaser and it worked very well.
Do you mean for removing the crud that surfaces to cover the color, or do you mean as paint prep?

I used the Duplicolor dark charcoal, then wet sanded it.
Is that Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric?
You don't really mean dark charcoal as a match for 94+ Buick blue, do you?

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
In the past, the discussion about brown discoloration of 94+ Caprice dash tops culminated in a recommendation to use (a) certain cleaner(s) to remove the discoloration, which was apparently something coming through from underneath the top surface.
its Lexol Vinylex, at least thats what I recommend to keep the brown from returning.
been using it for a few years now and it makes a difference.
local pep boys sells it, otherwise internet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.