Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Roadmaster has 65K miles on it and my Fleetwood has 85K miles. The Roadmaster has 2:56 gears and a posi, and the Fleetwood has 2:93 gears. And they both are FE1 suspension cars.
They are both stock except:
The BOTH have Monroe 550012 Severe Service Shock Absorber front shocks.
I have installed FE2 rear anti-sway bars on each. The front anti-sway bars are stock.
The Roadmaster has Monroe 58574 Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Absorber in the back.

But what a world of difference in how each one feels. Even though the Roadmaster has the disadvantage of 2:56 gears, I guess its weighing 315 lbs less (going by official curb weight specs) would explain why it is MUCH quicker than the Fleetwood. The Fleetwood requires getting your foot more into it to match the snappiness of the Roadmaster. (or maybe it could be in the computer programming?)

The Roadmaster is a bit rougher around the edges, a bit stiffer and there are little rattles or squeaks (very minor, but noticeable). The Fleetwood is like riding in a sealed plush coffin, no squeaks, no rattles, and not nearly as stiff. Because if its length, it takes a bit more concentration getting the Fleetwood around a tight left or right turn while staying in your lane, but there is no harshness. Whereas getting the Roadmaster around the same corner, you feel the body and frame stress against each other more.

Having had the Roadmaster about 18 months now and the Fleetwood less than one month, I now refer to the Roadmaster as my "small" car. And it does feel small in comparison. There is more of a difference between the two than I would ever have expected. Well that is a good thing, because I get bored driving the same car all the time. (I guess that is why I have owned 68 cars in my life).

At this point, I would not mind owning a few examples of each model, slightly favoring the Fleetwood.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just did my first tank of gas for mileage on the Fleetwood (I do every tank of gas on every car for the last 30 or more years). Including idling for 30 minutes to flush all the old coolant out, my town/boulevard MPG is 18.95. Compared to 19.5-20.5 typically for the Roadmaster. I have not done any highway calculations on either car as of yet. I have yet to take a trip with either.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thats nice...Been looking for a vinyl roof delete, VP4, cloth seat, sunroof one for years..they probably only made a handful on them with this rare combo..:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I finally took some pics of my RML. You can see my Fleetwood under the car cover. I hate these new style covers, they act more like paper than cloth. They are too light to handle even with the slightest movement of air. I like the old covers made of poly-cotton.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The interior color of the Fleetwood matches the exterior of the Roadmaster. The Roadmaster has that boring grey color that was so popular in the 90s. Brown in the 70s, blue in the 80s and grey in the 90s seems to be the popular colors.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Both are very nice looking cars. My next B-body will be a Fleetwood. I haven't seen many grey interiors in Dark Cherry Metallic Roadmasters. Mine has the Ruby Red interior.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts