Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent about 4 hours yesterday busting the S#@T out of my knuckles (and my face too!!!) yesterday replacing the rear air shocks in my 94 RMW. I bought an AC Delco Air Ride shocks (came with a shreader valve kit) and one of the Stainless "U bolt" kits and have the air pump hooked up to a manual switch (since the level on the rear axle busted).

With the new shocks installed and hooked up to the pump, the air shocks wouldn't expand. I pulled the pump and it was pushing air. Thinking I didn't have enou pressure, or a line had a hole in it somewhere or ??? I hooked compressed air up to the line by the pump and the shocked still wouldn't rise. Getting frustrated, I hooked the plastic lines up to the shreader valve and while laying under the car hooked compressed air up to the shreader valve and STILL NO RISE?!

So I have new shocks, new lines and compressed air, but rise in thr shocks?!

Since it was getting dark, I clipped the damn lines and called it quits...

Anyone had such a problem getting the air ride shocks to lift?

(Was really hoping to take the camper out soon...)

???
-Brent

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Really, no one has had a similar problem?!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I dont think anyone had any problems, but do you know if the compresser is pushing enough PSI.
Just a thought if you have a larger compresser in your garage try filling it manually or remove the shock lay it on the ground and see if it expands without a load. But just becarefull. Never did it that way so I dont know what would happen.
What size is your compresser?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
how long are the shocks? can you tell that there being compressed when the car is on the ground so when you turn on the pump they have room to expand/lift? just a thought.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Did you remove the tiny nylon plug, from the air nipple, on the shocks? It's for shipping only. It plugs in as a hose would.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the problem a while back, but forgot to update the board with what it was.

I tightned the fittings too tight and it compressed the nylon hose close.

I had to take it all off and redo the lines, but after hand tightening the fittings, I was good to go and able to take my camper out camping with the family. :)

-Brent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts