Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have some questions and need help! please!
blew the rear end of my 94 a few days ago UGH! trying to find another is a pain local junkyards only have roadies with junk rear ends mine was a posi rear end my questions are 1) can I use rear end of cadi or caprice? 2) does it matter the years of these cars the rear end came off of? 3) and is it going to mess up anything if I don't swap it out with another posi rear end? I do have a LT1 under the hood if that even makes a difference...

thanks guys for any help on this I'm freaking out because my roadmaster is my daily driver.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Doesn't matter if it's posi or not. Any LT1/5.7L Caprice, Roadmaster (sedans only) and Fleetwood rear end will work. 91-93 will interchange too. The only issue will be if the gear ratio is different than your current one. It will cause your speedometer to be off. You would have to get the PCM programmed for it to read correctly. You can also use a disc brake rear from a Caprice/Impala, but you would have to use the e brake/parking brake cable from a disc setup if you wish to keep E/parking brake. I installed a disc rear in my old RMS.

Edit: I believe the Fleetwoods use a different ABS sensor setup, but the rear end would bolt in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you guys! and another question what if I end up having to settle for a rear end with disc brakes and have to convert do I have to change out the master cylinder also and other components? I want to make sure everything is right the first time around and not more headaches and money spent ... and is there any issue with gear ratios? not just slapping on a whatever rear end and screwing up anything else on my car if that makes sense I"m not wanting more to stress on

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the additional info ...I was also told on another form that I would have to change the proportioning valve? as well as master cylinder because the disc brakes us different fluid pressure and volume; thats why you need a different master cylinder if you change from drum? I dont have an e brake anymore my abs is already off (my roadmaster is a lowrider that's the reason)

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I think the proportioning valves are the same for all 94-96 b and d bodies. My brakes stopped fine without swapping anything else. You can also do the stealth bolt and metering mod once you swap to discs.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
the brakes should be fine.
you can do the brake mods like stealth bolt if you want to, stock they were set up for drums anyways.
might try contacting some of the cali-ss or inc guys in LA, they may have a rear axle.
the other suggestion is contact George Bate's shop, he specializes in B-bodies and may have a line on parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts