Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Caprice wagon that i want to set lower, not after slamming to the ground, don't have the budget for air ride. just want to lower it 1-2 inches with a near level rake. will be putting ss wheels and tires on car. optimally would like to know what off the shelf springs would achieve this, currently my wire diameter in front is .718. thanks for any info.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You may want to try posting in the "Wagons" forum. Also try a search on "springs" or "wagon springs". This subject has been gone over in depth in the past. I don't think there is a wagon-specific spring currently made to fit your needs, unfortunately.

Mark

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eibach used to have a spring specific for the Wagon. I had them on my '92 prior to the airbags. It lowered it down to about the stock height of my '96 SS. You might be able to find a set for sale somewhere, or you might want to look into the Hotchkis or H&R springs. If you wanted to get a little more ambitious, the Intrax springs might also work. I think that the spring rates on the reat would be high enough to work acceptably on the wagon.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Wagon, just saw some springs from
Suspension Techniques for those wagons that give a drop of 2.0", front and rear on the
Shox.com site, though, you will need to send in your info for a price quote. I really like those wagons, but if I owned one it would sure be lowered too! Good luck!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a note guys: Bought a set of lowering springs for my wagon from Shox / Susp. Techs. 1 1/2 years ago. Could not use the springs because they fall out when changing tires. This is bad, especially on a wagon where you need full extension to change rear tires.
The rear springs measure 10 1/2" fully unladen (rears), and the original opening in the car is 14" (original rear springs measure 14 1/2"). I was told to ship springs back to them. Then, they said I had to be responsible for my modifications. I said that if my wife has a flat tire, and somebody stops to change it, and the spring falls sideways, this could be a real problem if the car is lowered and the spring goes through the fuel tank? They literally said "tough ****". They have never returned my money because they said the springs were perfect. I even spoke to the Vice President of Bell Tech (owns susp. tech.) at Super Summit Days, and he said he would get to the bottom of it. He won't even take my calls, nor does he phone back.

Moral of the story. BEWARE WHO YOU DEAL WITH! You can forward this to Shox and to Susp. Tech. if you want. They won't deny it. Also, one more thing-They have a female Engineer at Susp. Tech who has not the faintest idea what she is talking about. She said she has the same car (BS) and she changes rear tires by jacking axle up (can't be done). I caught her up on several statements which were not true. They have the best of both worlds-They have my money, and the springs, which she said she sold. Good Luck to all who buys from any of them.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been running ST springs on my wife's wagon for months now without a single problem. It rides much better than I expected for how low it sits. I know another thing, this wagon sits lower than 2 inches that's for sure. More like three. Yes, it has it problems like oil changes and some high centering, and yes the rear springs can come out when changing tires. My wife is well aware of this and knows what to do if anyone aside from myself changes or rotates the tires. She loves it and we are not looking to change any time soon. Good luck with your choice... ;)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that springs being able to fall out is a serious flaw. The problem would be an unexpected road condition where the body is going up and the axle is going down due to a hard bounce and the springs fall out. Am I missing something here? This is dangerous, right?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As a side note, I did order lowering springs and sway bar from Quickor Suspension. It took 6 months for the sway bar, and 1 year for the springs. I have no idea what the springs originally fit, but they work fairly good, and do not fall out.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems to me you could make a spring loaded telescoping cup that would rise as the body lifted and retain the spring when changing tires or hitting horendous bumps or potholes.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've yet to hear of the ST springs falling out while driving down the road. You'd have to be pulling some pretty crazy stuff and beating the daylights out of your car while you're at it. The reason the springs have the tendancy to fall out when it's jacked up is due to their short height. That's a trade off you have to pay when getting mega-drop springs. If they weren't that short, then they'd have to have a pretty soft spring rate to drop that low... something which would be even worse on the Wagon than on the SS.

As far as if you get a flat out on the road w/ the ST's, well, I doubt it would really matter. In order to change the rears on the Wagon (SS wheels) we're required to raise the whole rear end on jack stands, unbolt the shock, and then tilt the axle just to get the wheel off. There is no way a person would be able to do that on the highway w/ any amount of safety.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right now I am using Moog cc501 springs with 1.5 inch spacers.My wagon with 255-50-17 tires sits just under 20inches fender to ground. They are a progressive rate spring and when squished under a fatso wagon they are up to 220 inch pounds. This is the same as my original hd springs. I have just gone to Bilsteins and when I get the air bags in I may have to shorten the spacers to keep this height with min air bag pressure.
Anyway, a CC501 would put you at about 18.5 on its own. These springs have enough free length that they were not loose even with no spacers, and the long original wagon shocks. What I did was put them in and then figure out how thick a spacer to machine up to get my height to where I wanted. Regards, Gerry

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
guys, i don't see how can the spring fall out, when you change or jack up the wagon, haven't you realize that when you put smaller springs you have to change to smaller shocks, that way our suspension will work the way it was design, but with less travel, the same works with the sedan, if you don't change the shock, the only part that is doing all the work is the springs an the shock are there for the ride only, guys check in to it, good luck. ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Caplt4, you did not read my post real close. On a wagon you need the full extension to change a rear tire. My eibach springs in my Impala do not fall out, and they are lowering springs. My wagon springs are full length, and do not fall out, yet lower 2". The folks who make shorter springs to lower a car are using existing springs meant for another application, and just shitting the people.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Caplt4. Thanks for your help, but there are springs out there that are long enough in free length to handle the production type long travel shock. Some people choose to keep the long shocks because as Charlie stated , it is hard to re-re a rear wheel with out. This is why I use a progressive rate spring. It has a long free length but still gives me a lowered ride height and reasonable spring rate at ride height.I can just get my 17's out but a 15 might be tougher.I know you don't mean it, but your posts are comming across like we do not have a clue! regards, Gerry Charlesworth

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
guys, i didn't mean to sound like that, i know you guys know your stuff probably more than what i know, i have my wagon on level ride, but my sedan is lower an i had to change the shocks because not realizing that the spring are shorter, they fell out when i lifted the car, guys i didn't mean to offend anybody.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts