Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Congrats on the buy! I'm glad it went to someone on the forum.

Upgrading 91-94 mirrors to 95-96 style is a standard B-body mod. I'm sure it's covered here somewhere. Try searching the Exterior section.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phantom309 just filled the mirror holes on the doors and mounted 95-96 mirrors in the triangle in front of the side windows. He was not the first (nor the last - I'm de-wooding and doing the mirror treatment on a DGGM '94 RMW I recently sold.) There is info on that mod out here in forumland.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phantom309 just filled the mirror holes on the doors and mounted 95-96 mirrors in the triangle in front of the side windows. He was not the first (nor the last - I'm de-wooding and doing the mirror treatment on a DGGM '94 RMW I recently sold.) There is info on that mod out here in forumland.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to do that with my 94 FW. It`s easier for me to change it than drill a hole and besdies that, it`s cleaner from what I seen. I seen a few 94 doors drilled for 96 mirrors, kinda sloppy.
My friend is the parts manager at the local GM dealership. All front B Body doors are the same ALSO the Fleetwoods can be used too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So...what your saying is if I get newer model door w/ the mirror in the corner of the window...I can just swap the doors that easy? What about the power windows and stuff...my car has manual roll ups.

What would I have to do to swith to power windows if the doors I get are power already?...just plug them in? What I mean is, does my car already have the wiring for power windows?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on the wagon! That's a nice clean one. And a 91 with a 350 too. :D CC's rule!

Originally posted by okcderek:
What would I have to do to swith to power windows if the doors I get are power already?...just plug them in? What I mean is, does my car already have the wiring for power windows?
If your car has manual windows, there is no wiring for the power ones. This has been discussed a few times but your best bet if you want to go power windows is to find a salvage car with them and pull the wiring harness.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was also thinking about swapping 95-96 doors on my 94 RMW. Has anyone done this? I remember reading on the forum that the 95-96 doors were lighter for some reason. I would like to find out if this is just a bolt on swap and if the sheet metal and hinges are the same.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did do some research, but really didn't find information on switching doors. Found more on switching mirrors. Those post were hard to follow since they made comments to switching window trim. Since I haven't recieved the car yet I couldn't go look at the car to see what they were refering to. Will look in exterior.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by lead sled:
Did do some research, but really didn't find information on switching doors. Found more on switching mirrors. Those post were hard to follow since they made comments to switching window trim. Since I haven't recieved the car yet I couldn't go look at the car to see what they were refering to. Will look in exterior.
All B-Body Sedans and Wagons(Caprice/Roadmaster/Custom Cruiser) and D-body Sedans(Fleetwood/Fleetwood Brougham) front doors are interchangable with each other. The difference really is in the added trim to the doors. Cadillacs and Buick Sedans/Wagons with Wood trim(Same goes for a Caprice Wagon with wood trim) have metal trim pieces that require studs on the door, and proper removal of the studs would require their holes to be welded closed.

Caprice/Standard Caprice & Buick Wagons( and Custom Cruiser's :confused: ) have trim that is glue in place with trim-tape, so the pieces can be easily removed, and swapped for the proper model pieces(If not just shaved off like the norm).

Since the wagon you bought is already power, you can easily swap the doors with another like newer door, and the wiring will plug/spilce together.
You would need to reuse your old door panels, as the Custom Cruiser panels are different than the newer ones. Besides wiring, the biggest obstacle would be getting the doors to properly line up, to ensure no damage to the doors or fenders from being out of adjustment.

After all the above, you see why most would just modify their current doors to accept the newer mirrors ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you`re going to put on power option doors check your fuse block. If there is a relay thats in the power window, locks, seat then check the otherside of that fuse block to see if there is a plug. I heard that from a service tech at the GM dealership.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.