Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Caprice runs good up to 180* and then starts backfiring out right bank and has no acceleration (studdering), no power...... new O2 sensors, plugs, wires today...... can it be a knock sensor problem...... these are such finicky engines..... getting pretty tired of the struggle

Thanks

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
You replaced the O2 sensors but have you verified their operation on a data log? I would also on the scanner be paying attention to the water temp, maybe the sensor has a failure that exhibits at that temp? I would also try running it with the MAF unplugged. Maybe that's causing the closed loop issue. Also possible would be an exhaust leak somewhere forward of the O2 sensors.

-Brian

Reactions: Marky Dissod

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
OP

Before throwing more parts at it....get some form of scanner to see what the car "is" doing. Scan9495 is free

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OP

Before throwing more parts at it....get some form of scanner to see what the car "is" doing. Scan9495 is free
Thanks for reply, I read replies of “data logging” and your reply of a scanner..... I put mine on and got O2 fault and EGR/MAP.... along with transmission, A/C temp, and traction control...... the later three codes have no application and was supposedly deleted in tuning process...... along with EGR, as I removed all smog equipment..... what I need to understand is data logging or is that just simply a scan tool?
Thank You

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reply, I read replies of “data logging” and your reply of a scanner..... I put mine on and got O2 fault and EGR/MAP.... along with transmission, A/C temp, and traction control...... the later three codes have no application and was supposedly deleted in tuning process...... along with EGR, as I removed all smog equipment..... what I need to understand is data logging or is that just simply a scan tool?
Thank You
I always wondered if it is a temperature reading situation, A/C temp..... maybe reading that the engine is overheating and going into a limp mode?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Sounds like you have a code reader. Data logging or scanning would be a step beyond that to watch the values the sensors are reporting to the computer in real time. In the case of O2 sensors you would be looking to see that the milli volts the generate are generally cycling back and forth between the low 100's and 800-900's.

-Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you have a code reader. Data logging or scanning would be a step beyond that to watch the values the sensors are reporting to the computer in real time. In the case of O2 sensors you would be looking to see that the milli volts the generate are generally cycling back and forth between the low 100's and 800-900's.

-Brian
Thanks Brian...... sounds like it is above my level of expertise reading perimeters

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
It's not difficult, it just requires some additional tools. In this case an OBD1 ALDL cable and some free software for your laptop. EEHack is my go to software for scanning. I also have used scan9495 like BallSS mentioned.

-Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not difficult, it just requires some additional tools. In this case an OBD1 ALDL cable and some free software for your laptop. EEHack is my go to software for scanning. I also have used scan9495 like BallSS mentioned.

-Brian
Thank you Brian, I appreciate your time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts