·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by Bow Tie Guy:
ordered some moog cc 627's for mighty mouse today,
will the airlifts fit OK?

Also planning to Cut the fronts
This is a civie L99 Car with Factory Fluff ride
option
I cant tell you how much to cut, but my car has GW front swith a 1/3 of a coil cut and Moog 627 in the rear. It sits at 26.25 in the front and about 26 in the rear with no air in the bags. I have about 10 lbs in them now and it sits at about 26.325
I have the stock Impala Air Lift bags and they work fine with the Moog 627 Coils. This is with 275/40 and 315/35 tires also. With bigger tires will change that a little.
Also to cut the front figure out hom much to you want to lower the car, say 2".
Get to the front colis, with the weight of teh car on them and measure the distance between the coils. If the distance is say 3/4", then you will have to cut around 2.5 coils.
2/.75=2.67
NOW THIS IS AN EXAMPLE, MEASURE YOUR COILS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 96 Civi with FE3 suspension. I installed
CC627s in the rear and ended up cutting the fronts 1 full coil plus an 1" (made me feel better)If you measure the car now, the rear is 3/4 of an lower than the front. Works great!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get to the front colis, with the weight of teh car on them and measure the distance between the coils. If the distance is say 3/4", then you will have to cut around 2.5 coils.
2/.75=2.67
NOW THIS IS AN EXAMPLE, MEASURE YOUR COILS.
Above isn't correct.....I've covered it before, I'll cover it again ;)

You do wanna measure the front coils like Troy described, however you then have to do some math.

First, measure the coil distance from the CENTER of one coil to the CENTER of the adjacent coil. It should be in the ballpark of 1" to 2". And it is VERY important that you do this measurement WITH the weight of the car on the suspension!

Next, you need the RATIO of two distances</font>
  • Distance from the lower balljoint to the pivot centerline of the lower arm</font>
  • Distance from the center of the spring pocket to the pivot centerline of the lower arm</font>
Take the first distance, and divide it by the second. Fortunately for y'all, I happen to have a B-body lower A arm in the garage right now and just measured these distances : first one is approx 15.5", second one is approx 7.75". Divide 15.5" by 7.75", you get exactly 2. We got lucky, the math isn't too bad for us :D

So now we have this coil distance, and the ratio.

To figure out how much drop exactly ONE cut coil would give you, take the coil distance and multiply it by the ratio.

So in Troy's example of 0.75" coil-to-coil distance with the correct ;) math, cutting 2.67 coils would result in a drop of 2.67*.75*2 = 4". Which I am pretty sure you WOULDN'T wanna do here

FWIW, on the Global West springs the coil-to-coil distance loaded down is 1.5". Thus, by cutting 1/3 coil Troy ended up with 1/3*1.5"*2 = 1" drop from the uncut GW springs. I confirmed this on my own car (Which also has 1/3 coil cut GW fronts) and similarly have confirmed on a couple of other cars that cut 1/2 coil on GW springs that they got 1.5" drop (0.5*1.5"*2 = 1.5").

Cutting Springs 101 class dismissed ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I guess i stand corrected.
The way I have always done it has worked pretty damn close.
Even on Intrax springs I took out and the springs in teh pick-up before bags.
Oh well i will keep my mouth shut next time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Troy : sorry, didn't mean for it to come out as attacking in any way.

Rather, just showing the math behind it. On these cars you really do end up cutting a lot less from the spring than you'd think just staring at the spring on the ground before you install it :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by khill:
[QB] I have a 96 Civi with FE3 suspension.

I Read your thread in the archives, and planned on cutting one Coil, based on your experience.
I had just purchased the airlifts awhile back
When I needed to move a Boat, hopefully these CC627's will help out with towing duty as well

Guys thanks for the advice, and Thank you Ed, for taking the Time to share your thoughts. always appreciated

I'm running the Eagle 212's 17 X 8 right now
and leaning toward the torq-thrusts in 17 X 9.5 all the way around, so I can rotate the tires
and sport some lip :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
Troy : sorry, didn't mean for it to come out as attacking in any way.

Rather, just showing the math behind it. On these cars you really do end up cutting a lot less from the spring than you'd think just staring at the spring on the ground before you install it :D
No I didnt mean it like that just playing.
Now I know, I never knew it like that.
I have always just measured between coils and then figured out how much drop I want. This sounds more precise.
Thanks Dude.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.