Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going guys, need help please About a month ago my ss started acting up it would take a few times to crank over and my a/c stopped working and when I would first drive it it misfires and chokes up check engine comes on and low oil light comes on. After the check engine light comes on she idles fine but my a/c doesn't work. I had it scanned and it read some distributor codes so I replaced the distributor and the issue was fixed.
Lastnight I got on throttle and she misfired and did exactly what it did when the distributor was bad. Before I order another distributor does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this issue?
Thanx Sergio

·
Registered
576 Posts
What brand was the 1st distributor/optispark?

How many miles since replacing it?

Were the plugs & wires done also?

Have you read the codes and what are they?

It could be a number of things ~ I'd start with getting a fuel pressure reading.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Check the engine grounds.

Back of the passenger head to the fire wall.
Front drivers side by the coil.
I am sure there are others.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im not sure what brand the first opti was, it was installed from the last owner. the one i installed was of ebay and the brand was rally. i did change the wires, i didnt change the plugs. its only been about 100 miles since i replaced the opti.. ill post the codes tomorrow when i get it scanned again. i checked the ground wires they are all making good contact. im thinking about upgrading the opti to a msd one or a accel opti spark (upgrade one).

is there any other option that i can go with like changing the type of distributor/optispark?

thanks guys

·
Registered
991 Posts
im not sure what brand the first opti was, it was installed from the last owner. the one i installed was of ebay and the brand was rally. i did change the wires, i didnt change the plugs. its only been about 100 miles since i replaced the opti.. ill post the codes tomorrow when i get it scanned again. i checked the ground wires they are all making good contact. im thinking about upgrading the opti to a msd one or a accel opti spark (upgrade one).

is there any other option that i can go with like changing the type of distributor/optispark?

thanks guys
check the opti wiring harness plug and don't get a MSD or accel opti but thier cap and rotors are ok

·
Registered
772 Posts

thanks guys
check your opti vent harness make sure it has air flow this will fry your opti within 100 miles if it doesnt ask me how i know lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx guys for all the help. Which opti do u guys recommend? I should of mentioned that I have a msd coil pack and a msd Ignition control. U guys think these could be the issue?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Thanx guys for all the help. Which opti do u guys recommend? I should of mentioned that I have a msd coil pack and a msd Ignition control. U guys think these could be the issue?
For Opti, AC Delco or Delphi only (they are identical). Virtually all others use cheap optical sensors that crap out quickly. MSD coils (you have 1 coil, not a pack) are hit and miss on these cars, and an MSD ignition controller is money wasted on an LT1, IMHO. Return everything to stock, with a Delco/Delphi Opti and make sure the vent harness is functioning. The timing cover seals for the Opti and water pump need to be changed as part of this, as well. Otherwise, they will leak and the oil will eventually destroy the Opti.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
im not sure what brand the first opti was, it was installed from the last owner. the one i installed was of ebay and the brand was rally...
Still have the opti you replaced? The one you bought off EBay has a good cap and rotor and a bad optical sensor. Cheapest (read as 'free') thing to do is to replace the new OS w/ the old one and keeping the new cap and rotor. I found out the hard way, as you are now, about the bad EBay opti's. The fix was to do just as I described above. The fix worked.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I would also check the ground wires by the Ignition coil, while your at it take the coil off the bracket clean it and apply new heat soak glue or gel what ever its called. The only opti anyone should be getting is an A/C delco-Delphi, all others are going to result in you doing the whole thing over again later on down the road. Ask me how I know...lol

·
Registered
576 Posts
I bought an eBay opti [and sold it on here] and can't say if they're good or bad because I took it off and got/installed an ACDelco chasing issues like you're experiencing. I did the new coil, checked grounds, fuel pump, etc... and traced it to what I hope [haven't had the time to get back to it] is a leaking fuel injector.

There can be so many things causing very similar symptoms so it's best to check codes if you have any and test the components versus parts replacements [waste of time and $]. At least I know what I have now, 1st hand :) Do it right the first time using good parts and proper procedure is the best advice I can give.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took all the msd stuff off lastnight and put it back to stock. I checked the old opti and it wasn't a acdelco or a opti and I'm pretty sure the opti sensor is bad just because the issues are the same as last time. Before I go to my local store and spend 500 on a acdelco opti does anyone know where to find one for a better price? I was looking thru old posting and saw alot of talk about thepartsladi on eBay but I don't think she sells any more.
Thanx

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
im not sure what brand the first opti was, it was installed from the last owner...
Do you still have this one? Unless it was the initial root of your problem, the OS is probably still good. OEM OS's fail due to coolant and/or oil saturation. Nothing else really fazes them and they can last 100's of K's of miles. Many people selling cheaper R&R'd opti's are doing just that. Gathering old OEM OS's and pairing them w/ new cap and rotors. There's a lot of good information here about things to check and general diagnostics. However, I can almost guarantee you your problem is that EBay optical sensor. If you don't have the original or it had failed, best bet is to boneyard an opti and swap parts. After that, the alternatives begin getting costlier.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Took all the msd stuff off lastnight and put it back to stock. I checked the old opti and it wasn't a acdelco or a opti and I'm pretty sure the opti sensor is bad just because the issues are the same as last time. Before I go to my local store and spend 500 on a acdelco opti does anyone know where to find one for a better price? I was looking thru old posting and saw alot of talk about thepartsladi on eBay but I don't think she sells any more.
Thanx
here is the partsladi phone number that I had from them

# 1-800-579-7046

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanx
Go here;

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=240018

1 - 16 of 16 Posts