Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a low mileage lt1 drivetrain that I'm thinking about swapping into a 96 ss. I'm swapping the entire wiring harness and pcm from the 95 over as well. I also have a z28 cluster that is made for the 95 that I'm swapping over as well. Now my question is, besides the obd2, are there any difference between the years? Would the 95 harness plug in under the dash? Would the z28 cluster work the same? Can I replace the obd2 diagnostic plug with the obd1 plug?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone have any info on this? Or will I have to get use a 96 harness and do an obd1 conversion.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Does anyone have any info on this? Or will I have to get use a 96 harness and do an obd1 conversion.
You could use the the 95 stuff and get away with it, but if you ever get emission testing or sell the car you or the next buyer will suffer. Just swap your 96 timing cover to the 95 motor (good time to replace oil pan gasket) use your 96 harness and pop a 95 PCM in it. Just remember the 96 knock sensors in the block are different values than the 95. I would rather install new 96 knock sensors while the motor is out and solder two resistors into the PCM than swap out the knock sensors while in the car if ever needed. Also for a data cable just use one for a 95 F-body since almost all of them came with the OBDII style connector.

HTH

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This weekend I finally got around to swapping my drivetrain out a 95 Caprice into a 96 Impala. I used the z28 cluster out of my 95 caprice along with the underdash wiring harness out of a 95 9c1. But now I have a problem, the car won't start. The fuel pump is not coming on and it seems like I have a pass key fault, but I can't tell because I have the z28 cluster installed. I'm just looking for some ideas to troubleshoot so if anyone has any let me know?

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Did you swap the entire harness?
Did you get the 9c1's pass key box with the wiring?
if your still using the SS's box, thats probably your problem.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you swap the entire harness?
Did you get the 9c1's pass key box with the wiring?
if your still using the SS's box, thats probably your problem.
I swapped the entire harness that connects to the instrument cluster, hvac controls, cig lighter,etc. Was the 9c1 pass key box part of this assembly? If it wasn't then I'm still using thee SS's box?

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
your probably still using the SS's box, but the 9c1's had a stock pass key bypass.

You have a few options,
You could grab the 9c1 box and call it a day.
do the VATS key bypass
install the VATS wiring into your harness, and use the system.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I hope that's the problem. So the harness from the 9c1 is missing the wiring for the vats system? Im going to try to bypass the system tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Well, the problem you have is that there is no wiring. The 9c1's simply had a jumper wire, the SS had the VATS wiring to the steering column.

I'll send pics in a bit.

What did you do with your original wiring?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the original wiring, in my garage somewhere. I still have the wiring in the 95 civi caprice that I removed the drivetrain from too?

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Grab the 9c1 VATS box then, install that. make life easy.

What are you doing with the rest of the car? dibs on parts :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took the dash wiring harness out of a 9c1 out of the junkyard. Everything else came out of my 1995 Civi Caprice. I still have the dash wiring harness for my Civi Caprice(which should have the vats wiring). I dont have the pass key box out of the 9c1.:(

As far as parting the car out, the only parts left are exterior body parts. I bought my SS as a rolling chasis so I needed almost evrything to put it back together.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
I took the dash wiring harness out of a 9c1 out of the junkyard. Everything else came out of my 1995 Civi Caprice. I still have the dash wiring harness for my Civi Caprice(which should have the vats wiring). I dont have the pass key box out of the 9c1.:(

As far as parting the car out, the only parts left are exterior body parts. I bought my SS as a rolling chasis so I needed almost evrything to put it back together.
when you say dash wiring, you mean ALL the wiring under the dash?
or just the Section that plugs into the Cluster?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, all the under dash wiring. It plugs into the cluster, hvac, cig lighter, radio, underdash lights, trunk opener, etc.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
here is a 9c1 VATS box & wiring :

Notice the wire that circles back into itself? That was the factory's way of bypassing it.

here is a stock civi box & wiring:

Did yours look like the above?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, mines looks like the box on the bottom, I didn't grab that box out the 9c1. Guess
I'm heading to the junk yard in the morning. Thanks for the pics, that was a big help.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
keep in mind, you dont HAVE to get it.

If your car didn't have a problem (and used the VATS system) before, you could test your key and place a resistor or 2 where the 9c1's wiring jumps itself.

Personally, I would just go spend the $7 on the 9c1 box.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to make sure that we are on the same page, this is the harness that I removed out of the 9c1. Everything else is still stock.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
I dont know if that section plugs into the box or not.
You might want to check

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really don't think it does, I remember it screwing into a big connector under the dash. But I'll check tomorrow and see if what all it plugs into.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts