Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I wouldn't mind a mild rumble at WOT.

Deleting the resonators is out. I need new mufflers since the old ones are rotted out.

So what do you think? And by mild I mean MILD. I wanna keep it caddy but with a little kick ;)

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
I've heard Borla and they're quiet. But $1,200! I loved the Hooker Aeros on my last FWB (the FTSS), but I'm hunting something a teensy quieter on my 'new' '96. You know the stockers are 19" long. No panic on timing, but I'll be researching something longer than the usual 13-16" o.a. aftermarket length. Maybe a couple of big SUV/pickup muffs - 2 1/2" in and 2 1/4" out? And resonators. And FattMatt under the carpet.

Finally, I hear good things about the Dynomax VT (the one with the strong spring) (i.e. "sounds stock until you tromp it...."). But there's a giant gulf between people's definition of terms so I'll wait for personally hearing myself.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
The muffler you're looking for in stock size and look is at Wadron's Exhaust up in Mich. I like quiet as well,and want stock look but with a touch more sound at WOT.

I've had 4 sets of their Imposter Turbo Muffler, my favorite set of mufflers by far over last 40 years in this hobby.Waldron's is a big oem supplier of stock systems in the antique car hobby.

I currently have stock original exhaust pipes with a pair of their Imposter mufflers on.I recently cut off the orig resonators and replaced with a straight piece of pipe with stock orig tips put back on.Love the look and mild sound.No drone at all.This is on my 94 LT1 B4U Caprice.I also run a stock drilled airbox w/ drop in K&N,and a hockey puck in the elbow but for visual I kept home plate on.Again keeping with my stock look preference.These mild intake and exhaust mods combined make for an excellent sound and feel to me.

Good luck with your FW! Jim

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
I checked the site and called them. The tech John was tied up but a woman semi-helped with questions. Answer first was they use fiberglass, then she called back saying just baffles and perforated tubes. Also flexible on sizing (ht./width/length) and 19" is doable she says. She said they also have a '1/2 Impostor' (not on their site) which is supposedly quieter than the full on model, but no material or design differences available. Worth getting more intel on when getting closer to pulling the trigger, thanks.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
If you're running stock cats like I am get the regular Imposter mufflers.That's what I have.With cats,they are quiet.

·
Registered
486 Posts
This is my theory on the problem. Have a brand new pair of these sitting on hand, waiting for when I get a chance to wrench on the Caddy again. They're Magnaflow #12577. 2½" in, 2½" out, offset, all stainless steel, and nearly identical in size to the stock mufflers. Pic is of one sitting next to one of the original mufflers from my Fleetwood. I have a full clear image auto exhaust already on the car, so the full 2½" won't be a problem. I just really hate the Spintechs that came with the kit (they'll likely be for sale next year some time). They resonate way too much and weren't quite as quiet as I wanted at idle and low rpm.

Granted these new mufflers are a straight through design, but my theory is that given the massive size, they won't be too far off stock at idle and low rpm, but should get pretty feisty at WOT, which I'm perfectly OK with. Plus they're stainless, they should outlast the car, and at $110 a pop, they won't break the bank either. Only other issue is I'll have to figure out the hanger situation. If I can find a welder in town that can do good TIG welding, I'll get something factory-ish bent up and welded on, failing that I'm sure I can redneck engineer a suitable solution.

For what it's worth, they do have some stuff in the 4x9 oval variety, but nothing quite as long as these. I think the longest was 18" body, 24" overall, a full 4" shorter than the ones I'm going to try out. The slightly increased dimensions shouldn't be too big an issue though. Only one that could possibly get me into trouble is the height at 5", because I think the stockers are 4-4½" in height, but I really don't think that would cause much of an issue.

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12577

Attachments

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
For a less-expensive alternative, I'd get the Summit fully welded muffs. (< $30)
Keep it at 2 1/4" stock size to keep it quiet.
Honestly if you are keeping the stock resonators, even flowmaster 40s will be quiet
until you punch it ;)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-633251/overview/

Nab

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thread is 2 years old lol :smile2:

·
Registered
70 Posts
thread is 2 years old lol :smile2:
So what did you end up going with? And were you happy with that?

I used the biggest stainless magnaflows I could find in my old 96 wagon and it wasn’t too loud without resonators. With resonators it probably would have sounded close to stock.
My current wagon I’m tentatively planning Borla XS with aftermarket resonators.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Yah -

Quote: "thread is 2 years old lol :smile2:

See what you started? And just as relevant a topic today as 18 years ago working up my first FWB. Back then, it was the 2 1/2" Aero Hooker - H - JC Whitney glasspak resonator scheme. After all the earlier head-scratching for the '96 I picked up 2 years ago I recently decided on 2 1/2" S.S. Flow Super 50s to put with the back half of a new 2 1/2" Summit catback system. But there's a wrinkle - I'll be reusing the 2 1/4" S.S. SLP front pipes I took off my Impala SS, plus an H- added in. Not doing resonators right away, but waiting to gauge the 'quiet' first with just muffs. And all S.S. band clamps will make all the installation adjusting and optional changes that much easier.

My intake is dam near the same as Jim's above, and don't plan any serious mods other than an eventual "hot regular gas" / tranny pressures tune. So, I'm going after just opening up the exhaust while keeping the noise down and not so much on full-on scavenging principle. I'll eventually report on final setup after the whole experiment.
First thing is to pass inspection, almost 3 months expired. Only need wheels and tires, and rebuild the opti (again).

·
Registered
486 Posts
2 years old? What the? While working on my odd issue with my threads not showing up in recent discussions or most popular discussions, I saw this thread listed on one of them and decided to respond. Never bothered to look at the date since I had no reason to believe something showing up there would be that old. Something is definitely jacked up with this website lately.

Oh, and fwiw, my setup already has a pair of Magnaflow 4" round race mufflers at the rear functioning as resonators. That's what Dan includes in the kit if you opt for resonators. I think they're 2½" in, 2½" out and then he welds a 3" piece on the end to attach 3" tips. I hoping the combo of the race muffler and straight through muffler will give me the quiet I want, but the flow and sound I want at WOT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts