Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been posting some questions here, and several people wanted to follow along with my progress. I've finally got pics

I got the LT1 set on the frame now, and will start mocking up the acessories (alt, AC compressor, PS pump) now. I'm sure it will take me a few weeks to have that all together, then tear it all down again to clean and detail it all.

It is internally stock... simple bolt-ons only for now (Headers, programming, 3000rpm converter) i blew the budget on the suspension, so the engine mods will have to wait.

I may have to swap to a 'vette accessory drive bracket if the AC compressor doesn't clear my headers.

Did I mention this needs to be a complete, driving car by May 20th? :eek: I've got some work to do :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Derek69SS:
I've been posting some questions here, and several people wanted to follow along with my progress. I've finally got pics

I got the LT1 set on the frame now, and will start mocking up the acessories (alt, AC compressor, PS pump) now. I'm sure it will take me a few weeks to have that all together, then tear it all down again to clean and detail it all.

It is internally stock... simple bolt-ons only for now (Headers, programming, 3000rpm converter) i blew the budget on the suspension, so the engine mods will have to wait.

I may have to swap to a 'vette accessory drive bracket if the AC compressor doesn't clear my headers.

Did I mention this needs to be a complete, driving car by May 20th? :eek: I've got some work to do :D
Does the frame need anything for this to fit. I was thinking about this for my Buick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to take a stab at the headers and say they are coated Hooker 2466..?? They look identical to what I used in my car. Yes they will clear the A/C compressor but you can't use the rear bracket and the lines will be tight. I needed to notch the frame to clear the pulley/clutch, it might be tight for you too!

Nice job, money well spent on the suspension

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's going to be very nice! WOW!

Shameless pat on the back to follow...

My '89 Jag XJ6 with a '95 LT1/4L60E:

This is a low-budget daily driver. Including the initial car purchase ($1100 running and driving), the eng/trans and ALL the parts needed to make this work, AND the not-pictured C5 chrome Corvette wagon wheels and adapters, I have about $7500 in the car total. Not too bad, I think.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by capriceutah:
Does the frame need anything for this to fit. I was thinking about this for my Buick
It bolts right in just like any conventional small-block chevy

Originally posted by spudmanmike:
I'm going to take a stab at the headers and say they are coated Hooker 2466..?? They look identical to what I used in my car. Yes they will clear the A/C compressor but you can't use the rear bracket and the lines will be tight. I needed to notch the frame to clear the pulley/clutch, it might be tight for you too!

Nice job, money well spent on the suspension
Hedman ELITE #68608, intermediate length, kind of a "once size fits most" header that I know several people had good luck with on chevelles. Ride height will be too low for most full-length tubes. The compressor should clear the frame on a chevelle according to some others who have done it, but I know novas and camaros need to be notched like you did also.

The project started as a "fun driver" with "slightly improved handling"... then I went all out and blew the budget with intentions to do some road-course racing

Originally posted by Bosstyrac:
that looks good i am working on a project also im installing a 96 LT1 in a 1969 CAMARO
This link will be helpful to you
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/4955/camaro1.html

Originally posted by VIN Guy's Alter Ego:
That's going to be very nice! WOW!

Shameless pat on the back to follow...

My '89 Jag XJ6 with a '95 LT1/4L60E:

This is a low-budget daily driver. Including the initial car purchase ($1100 running and driving), the eng/trans and ALL the parts needed to make this work, AND the not-pictured C5 chrome Corvette wagon wheels and adapters, I have about $7500 in the car total. Not too bad, I think.
...and thanks for all the help you've given me so-far on this
I'll be posting updates as I make progress :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 55 chevy wagon that will get either an lt1 or ls1 (still trying to decide) What are you using for the wiring harness and ecm?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to buy the harness from www.speartech.com and have the caprice PCM programmed by Brian Herter since it needs to have the VATS disabled anyway.
:cool:

If I had the bux, I would have had a Speartech, most likely.

Since I DIDN'T have the bux, I have a reworked b-body harness. It's OK, but not so pretty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Always good to see a swap like yours. I've been toying with dropping an LT1 in my 75 Monte Carlo. Thanks for the pics. Be sure to post some pics of the accessory drive where the A/C compressor gets near the frame rail.
Well done,
Tim sends

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The project started as a "fun driver" with "slightly improved handling"... then I went all out and blew the budget with intentions to do some road-course racing
Heh, that's what happened with my wife's '71 Chevelle. My '96 9C1 engine needs rebuilt (spun rod bearing) and won't be stock, and I'm debating between putting it back in the 9C1 or replacing the 350/2004R with the LT1/4L60E combo and parting the cop car...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those vette brackets are getting hard to find and cost $$$, so I did a hatchet job on the frame of my 72 Chevy pickup. I have since reenforced it. The pic showing the A/C compressor is the 1st test fit. I had to trim some off the front of the motor mount support for the lines to clear. I cut the front of the frame at an angle to aid in belt installation.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/millspec96ss/P1010029.jpg

Here is a pic of the compressor 1st test fit
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/millspec96ss/enginepics019.jpg

This is a pic of the wiring harness I used. It is the stock F-body harness. I sent it to Jim's Performance for modification. When I mailed it off it weighed 20 lbs. When I got it back, it only weighed 7 lbs!!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/millspec96ss/Picture072.jpg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a set of vette brackets with all accessries, PWR steering, alt and AC. Off 96 LT4 with less than 30k. They were left over from my LT4 install in the 94 as I reused my B body accessories. I was saving them for a future project but no time and the WU wants my stuf out of the garage that her antiques business has taken over. Make me an offer!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.