Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I took out my engine because of a rod noise and I spun 2 rod bearings on the crank. What would you do as a cost effective way of building it back to stock just so I can drive it again. I’m not looking into building it crazy yet, just a stock bottom end and hopefully use everything I have so it keeps cost low. Thank you for any input or opinions I just need some direction

·
Super Moderator
9,451 Posts
Cheap as possible? Go find a stock LT1 crankshaft in good condition. Two rod/piston combos in good shape. Put them in, check all main and rod bearing clearances with plastigage, send it.

Fast as possible? Find a usable iron head LT1 long block and slap it in.

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
What he said!

Reactions: cadejohnson58

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
Don't forget to give the cylinders a quick hone before re/installing the pistons. A new set of rings would not hurt. Get the donor crank polished if in very good condition, just for added insurance. I had the donor crank polished for my 454, and it still uses standard bearings with .002 clearance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thank you all for the advice. I’m in Arizona and I’m having a hard time finding just LT1 engines sitting let alone running when pulled. I found an engine about an hour or 2 away from me for $800. 113K miles but it’s a 97 out of a Camaro. He says there’s “rodent evidence, chewed wires, might be missing some odds and ends, oil pan has a dent in it.” I’m going to see how big of a dent, what wires were chewed and what he has. I really just need the long block I can piece together everything else, what do you guys think? I hope your Labor Day is going great

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
3,000 Posts
I feel like I'm missing something here...

Why would he need a new crank or anything? Why not just bearings, rings, etc.?

Summit/Jegs.

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
I would check local P-N-P junk yards. You can get a whole engine for under $500. Craig's list has some deals as well. A lot of people are putting LS engines in place of the LT1s, and the engine just gets scrapped.

Nobody knows where you are.

·
Super Moderator
9,451 Posts
He could see if he could try and get it turned but I doubt it.
Right. Spun bearings chew both the crankshaft and the connecting rod journal.

Maybe the existing crankshaft would clean up with a 0.010" undersize, and then you don't have to check and possibly resize all the other rod bearings due to the new crankshaft, but then you have the issue of those two connecting rods needing work too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts