Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just scored a 95 RMS on the cheap. I have a 96 SS currently too.

Few quick questions.

1. Will the SS swaybars and springs bolt in and provide a similar ride quality to the SS?

2. Does the RMS have a different Steering Box ratio as compared to the SS?
The RMS feels "loosey goosey" compared to the SS

3. Will a 96 B&B SS exhaust bolt into the RMS?

Thanks in advance!

Mike Washington

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rms ?

Thanks for your quick reply!

Now I need these parts!!! LOL

I have a rear bar from a SS.

I need F&R SS Springs and a Front SS Bar

And a SS Steering Box.

Thanks
Mike Washington

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More ?'s

I have a few more ?'s

I see that some rear ends are different.

To put a SS disc brake rear in the car?
I need a SS proportioning valve?
Is the SS rear Shorter?

Also, do the SS wheels fit with or without the SS rear?
Do i need spacers?

Sorry for all the ?'s
I have searched the forums, but have not come up with answers for these specific /"s

Thanks again,
Mike Washington

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I put a 9C1 Disc rear end with 3.23s on my old 94 RMS. It was about the same exact width as the drum rear with factory aluminum wheels. The SS rear end is slightly wider. Which may cause issues with the fender skirts if you're running a wider aftermarket rim. So I'd say the 9C1 rear is a better choice. The proportioning valves are the same, and the brake mods can be done just like on the SS once you have a disc rear installed. I believe the master cylinders are different though (larger bores?). I didn't change mine though and it worked fine. The rear section of the parking brake cable is different on the disc rear. I never hooked mine up though lol.

To mount the rear sway bar, you will also need the updated control arms if you don't already have them. My current 96 didn't have a rear sway bar, but the holes were still there, so I added one. They will have mounting holes in the top to run the bolts through vertically.

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
It's my understanding that the 9C1's used a different brake booster/master cylinder for a stiffer pedal feel. I don't know if the SS's used them. But a quick unbolt of the master from the booster makes it very clear. The 9C1's piston is much smaller.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts