Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Roadmaster. It won't start on the first crank in the morning anymore, but it starts right up on the second crank (Had the fuel pressure checked and was told it's fine). It fumbles a little bit when I give it gas until it warms up for a couple minutes. I replaced the Coolant Temperature sensor by the water pump and it didn't help, but that code is still coming up. I'm getting Codes 14 and 15 which deal with the coolant temperature sensor and Code 18 which says "injector circuits"? I just ran the codes today b/c it stalled out on me pulling into my driveway, which never happened before. What does this mean and how do I fix it? If anyone can shed light on any of these issues or problems I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
When you know it's gonna give you a hard start, try turning the key on and off 3 times before actually starting it. If it fires right up, then you have fuel pressure bleeding off. I know you said fuel pressure checked fine, but once the car is running it will be fine. There is an anti-drain back valve in the fuel pump that is supposed to prevent pressure from rapidly dropping, if it's gone bad, you will get symptoms like you describe. The only way to fix it is to replace the pump. I drove a car with this issue for over a year before I got around to replacing the fuel pump. One way to confirm is hook a gauge up, turn the key on
(but don't start) and see if it holds at 40PSI or better for at least 10 minutes. If it drops off right away, then it's likely the drain back valve in the pump.

For the coolant sensor codes, check the plug and wiring (at the water pump) and make sure everything is in good shape. It's often that stuff and not the actual sensor causing the issue.

Also, for future reference, for engine/drivetrain related problems, it's best to use the other sections. The engine maintenance section gets a lot more traffic than the roadmaster section and you'll get more responses. Only post in this section if it is something roadmaster specific.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I appreciate it. Maybe I'll post it in the other section. I did cycle the key a few times in the past and I always get the same issue when starting the car when its cold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts