Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '95 Caprice wagon with a flickering speedometer/odometer. Tried going through the usual fixes but still a problem. I have a '96 9C1 I plan to part out. Is the speedometer/odometer module compatible between the years? Mileage is almost the same.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I have a '95 Caprice wagon with a flickering speedometer/odometer. Tried going through the usual fixes but still a problem. I have a '96 9C1 I plan to part out. Is the speedometer/odometer module compatible between the years? Mileage is almost the same.
Yes same it will work fine.The plug/pin wiring for the 94-96 Caprice and 94-95 Impala SS digital clusters all same.
Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are changing out the entire cluster if I read your post correctly,Winger?
Sorry for the late reply but I found out that you can't do just the speedo cluster between 95 and 96. I think it was the connector that's just a little different and won't fit. This morning I plan on driving up to WI and dropping off my cluster.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Sorry for the late reply but I found out that you can't do just the speedo cluster between 95 and 96. I think it was the connector that's just a little different and won't fit. This morning I plan on driving up to WI and dropping off my cluster.
The 95 Caprice and 96 Caprice are direct interchange both physically and electrically. ONLY the 96 Impala SS cluster is unique.It is not compatible from an electrical stand point to a 94/96 Digital cluster.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 95 Caprice and 96 Caprice are direct interchange both physically and electrically. ONLY the 96 Impala SS cluster is unique.It is not compatible from an electrical stand point to a 94/96 Digital cluster.
Only if you do the entire IP. Not just the speedo unit. Those are different. I tried.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Only if you do the entire IP. Not just the speedo unit. Those are different. I tried.
The 94-96 Caprice instrument clusters all interchange with each other as well as 94-95 Impala SS.

The 96 SS is same demensionally as the digitals,but has different wiring.

I'm not following what you're saying?

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
There are 4 variations internally of these 94-96 Caprice dash clusters.If you tried to change the display from one to another then yes there is a chance it will not drop in.The 9C1 Certified clusters are different than 90% of the civi clusters.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are 4 variations internally of these 94-96 Caprice dash clusters.If you tried to change the display from one to another then yes there is a chance it will not drop in.The 9C1 Certified clusters are different than 90% of the civi clusters.
That may very well explain why I couldn't swap out just the speedo display. The '95 is a Caprice Wagon and the '96 is a 9C1. The complete IP will swap but not just the speedo section.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
That may very well explain why I couldn't swap out just the speedo display. The '95 is a Caprice Wagon and the '96 is a 9C1. The complete IP will swap but not just the speedo section.
Where did you take it to? Tanin Auto Electronix up in Racine?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Got my instrument panel back from Tanin and the speedo was fixed but the trip odometer was still not showing. I told them that when I dropped it off. Mailed it back to them and they turned it around in one day. All fixed! They covered shipping for the second repair so thumbs up to them.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Digging up this thread again, as my current cluster ('96 Civilian P-VIN) has the display going on/off occasionally.

I've got a spare cluster from my wrecked 9C1 ('96). What would be the difference between the two.

Thanx.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The cluster swap.

The whole cluster (speedometer+gauges) is the same for 94-96 Caprice. The 96 Impala cluster was different and the plugs wired to it were wired in a different pattern.

I have used a 96 9C1 cluster in my 94. Plug and play. There may be differences inside the circuit board but they do not affect a cluster swap (revisions of the circuit boards are only a problem if you try to swap the speedometer's electronic parts). The factory service manuals show the same cluster plug wiring for 94-96 Caprices. I think the graphics on the oil gauge are different but the difference between oil switch and pressure sensor are all in the car and can be ignored.

Best information to fix a cluster is:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/26-electrical/272461-1995-9c1-intermittent-dash-display-fix.html

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
The whole cluster (speedometer+gauges) is the same for 94-96 Caprice. The 96 Impala cluster was different and the plugs wired to it were wired in a different pattern.

I have used a 96 9C1 cluster in my 94. Plug and play. There may be differences inside the circuit board but they do not affect a cluster swap (revisions of the circuit boards are only a problem if you try to swap the speedometer's electronic parts). The factory service manuals show the same cluster plug wiring for 94-96 Caprices. I think the graphics on the oil gauge are different but the difference between oil switch and pressure sensor are all in the car and can be ignored.

Best information to fix a cluster is:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/26-electrical/272461-1995-9c1-intermittent-dash-display-fix.html
Great, thanks for the information.

No just for the sake of general knowledge, and I would say this would only be for my farm truck, not registered with Texas D.O.T., is it possible to change the odometer reading?

I'd like to make the replacement 9C1 odometer, match that of my off-road vehicle.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
A good speedometer repair shop that works on 94-96 Caprice speedometers can do it. I can not see any DIY method. It would not cost much more to have your old one fixed. S&H would be the same.

If you find the cracked solder on the pins or the damaged pads it is a easy fix for some one who works on electronics. Other problems such as dim display or mileage not being recorded are good candidates for professional repairs at a speedometer shop that stocks the special parts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts