Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to do the brakes on my 95 SS and I was wondering if the GM front caliper service kit p/n 18005606 is correct for the SS? Also is there a caliper service kit p/n for the rear disks brakes on the SS?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lets understand what you are asking about....

18005606 is a kit of parts that provides new bushings (8), new sleeves (4) and lubricant for the floating calipers on the front of the car. This kit is for all B-body front calipers from 91-96, as well as other applications in the GM line. One kit services 2 calipers.

This kit is intended to be used whenever new pads are installed in calipers already in service. Not necessary EVERY time, but it will ensure the calipers work to the best of their ability, with no sticking. Winter corrosion and extreme heat cause the guide pins and bushings to not work as well, making the bushing brittle, forcing or "cooking" the lube out of the bushing areas, and causing failure of the protective coating on the guide pins, which further contributes to wear at the contact points between the bushings and the pins and sleeves, thus sticking or failure of the calipers to release.

The rear calipers do not have a complete GM kit that serves the same purpose as 18005606 does for the front brakes. There MAY be a ACDelco Durastop "hardware kit" for the rear calipers that will provide a similar degree of serviceable parts--boots, bolts, and lube. There are any number of sources for such a kit in the aftermarket--Raybestos, Wagner, Carlson, and a myriad of other suppliers--and most have their own unique PN for the kit.

Another alternative is to purchase the Dorman PN 619-001 rear caliper bracket kit, which comes complete with the bracket, new guide pins, new boots, and caliper mounting bolts--you'll need one per side--under $25 each at most locations, from what I've seen.

You can also buy the individual boots, pins, and bolts from GM, and use a dieliectirc silicone grease or high-temp brake grease (buy the little packets at AutoZone and elsewhere)--see the Brake section of the Maintenance Parts List thread here on Forum for the specific PN's.

http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=33;t=001279;p=1

There are also (front and rear) caliper "rebuild" kits that provide new seals for the pistons as well as other parts. I'd have to dig up the PN's for these kits.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill, thanks for the answers to my questions. You told me every thing that I needed to know. I was looking for the kits that would replace the small parts on the calipers when I replace the rotors and pads. I have 81K on the car and I have purchased new rotors and Friction Performance pads. I just wanted to buy any small parts that I might need so that I would have them on hand and not get half way through the job and then try and find parts to finish.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Advance Auto (and probably other discount parts places) has a kit similiar to the 18005606 kit for the front. I can't remember if it includes any lube, but it does include the anti-rattle clips for the front inner pads. (GM kit doesn't) I have used both the GM kit, and the discount kit, and haven't had any trouble with either. The kit at Advance cost around $5.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the rear calipers there are at least 3 aftermarket kits available.

Autozone sold me an Allparts/Brakeware H5874, which is a repackaged UHW5625K (made in China). This was about $18 (including shipping, since it is a non-stock part). The kit includes the stainless steel H-clips for the rear calipers, new boots for the hanger slide pins, and new caliper bolts (but no threadlocker like the GM bolts).

Rockauto.com has the Bendix H5874, which is probably the same as the Autozone kit, the Wagner H5617 (about $20 including shipping), and the Raybestos H5631 (about $5 plus shipping). I ordered the Wagner kit, which is the same as what I got from Autozone except no caliper bolts and it is made in Australia. The Raybestos kit from Rockauto probably has the H-clips only due to the low price, and maybe it is made in America (could happen!).

I am still looking for something that will keep my rear brake pads from pounding dents into the hangers from some strange vibration I get when I brake lightly at high speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NDY in PA,

The only way(s) to stop the wear on the caliper brackets are to

1) move to a part of the country that is dry/road salt free

2) keep replacing the brackets (Dorman 619-001 is the low-cost alternative to OE replacement)

or

3) convert the rear to C5 brakes like I did. The wear shims that are part of the brake package stop this problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am also curious on whats involved with converting to C5 rear discs. Could you please PM me with the information?

Thank you,
Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by redvette33:
I would also like to know how to convert to C5 brakes. Please PM.
Uhhhhhhhh.......really hate to "jack in" on this thread, but I am interested in this mod as well.....you think you could PM me the information as well!?!?!?!?!?!? :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.