Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here. Thought I would start by saying hello! I am trying to get some info on the factory ride height. I have some issues with the SS I just picked up. It seems the entire car leans towards the passenger side. Both front and rear are lower. I am wanting to determine the factory ride height so I know what springs I want to go with. Also factory spring rate. I want it to ride nice. Quality ride is important since I will drive this everyday. Do not wish for it to ride like a slammed honda LOL. Any help would be great Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=227789

Lots of information in the above thread about the heights and spring rates of the OEM springs and the PPM springs. I don't think the thread has the stock height mentioned, but it does have the PPM height and claims 1" drop, so you can go from there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I kept searching stock ride height. This helps a bit. Now I apparently have another issue. The trans was rebuilt with corvette servos and a different convertor. It whines loudly whenever in gear. Sounds like a power steering pump low on fluid. I am guessing there is something wrong with the pump in the trans. The noise is coming from that area. Right in the front of the trans. It's full of fluid. Fluid is clean. Shifts really good. Alittle harder than i like into second. The engagement is positive in every gear even overdrive. Any one have ideas? Should I replace the pump? As much as I hate working on transmissions on the ground sliding around I will do whatever it takes. Sounds like I got a blower on this thing but no extra power LOL.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Mine whines like there is no tommorrow also-------------BUT thats the effect of my Edge converter. The day I put it in my tranny started to whine and that was 10,000 miles ago------some autocrossing and raod racing mixed in there. My tranny works just fine, it just sounds funny.

And the transmission came with corvette servos from the factory

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yeah, my edge makes the transmission whine more noticeable as well. I think that a smaller (9.5 as opposed to the stock 12) converter doesn't absorb the noise as much. Everything seems to work well though. Been about a year with a rebuilt tranny and the edge converter. I certainly hope everything is working the way it should -- but like you I also have a fairly aggressive 1-2 shift which does bother me a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I have the Edge 9.5 2800 & hear no whine at all. Of course it could be the SLP Headers, cat delete pipes, & SLP cat back could be a little too loud.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok well that may be it then. Cause he said they put a different convertor in but couldn't remember what exactly it was. It is smaller diameter than stock for sure. The car does "launch" pretty hard from a stand still. Sounds like I live with the noise or put the stock convertor in. Thanks to all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts