Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some or all of the '95 wagons come with the HD 5/8" ball joints? I was looking up some suspension parts on carparts.com and the '94 only had one set of ball joints, but the '95 had HD ball joints for Police and station wagon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From my knowledge, only 9c1s (which I guess would include the 1A2 wagon) in late 95 models and all 96 models recieved these Ball Joints. They came from the limo version of our cars. Those ofthen reffered to as the limo ball joints.
:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The GM parts cataloge says all 95 wagons with option 1A2 (public service vehicle) came with 5/8 ball joints - otherwise early 95 wagons had 9/16 and later ones had 5/8. As always I welcome corrections to this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a way for me to check this visually? Measure some part of the knuckles or lower control arms? Would there be a part number I could see by inspection?

The other part of this is that this car has been repaired previously with a front clip. I am getting a replacement frame in a couple of months. So I am not completely sure what front end parts it has. While the car is driving well, the front clip was done imperfectly (one side is a bit longer than the other) and I want to get it properly repaired. Figured on doing the HD ball joints at the same time if it did not already have them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lambdapro--

You can verify the size of the ball joint by getting a lower ball joint nut for either the 9/16" or 5/8" and see if it fits on the lower ball joint on your car. You can see that there is some portion of the ball stud sticking up above the nut as installed now, but you may have to bend the cotter pin out of the way to check this. If the car isn't a 1A2, I would be very surprised if it has the 5/8" ball joints.

Upgrading to HD ball joints could be just a matter of using the better Moog or other good aftermarket part in place of the stock part of the same size. If its 9/16", Moog K6145T is a good HD part. If its 5/8", Moog K6141T is what most are using. You can tell that the ball joint is the Moog "T" version by the serrated circumference where the ball joint presses into the press boss on the control arm.

To go from 9/16" to 5/8" is not quite as simple as you may be thinking--you have to change knuckles, and you will need different control arms to accomodate the 5/8" parts (which represents the thread size at the top of the stud on the lower ball joint), since the standard (9/16") control arms have a smaller ball joint opening than those on the "HD" 5/8" control arms. My point is, it isn't simply a matter of removing the smaller ball joints and installing larger ones in the same arms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.