Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and found threads were folks have complained of battery drains, found something but never clarified what was done to solve the issue.

My 96 9C1, I don't drive it much. It stays parked, always starts until recently. I drove it and parked it, nothing out of the ordinary. I went to start it a few weeks later and dead battery. I replaced the battery with a new one and after a week of not being driven it was dead, and won't charge past 60% on a charger after I removed it from the car.

I recharged the battery, connected the positive terminal and used a test light on the negative. Pulled body fuse #2 under the hood and the drain stopped. replaced it and went for the fuse panel under (on the side of) the dash.

Pulled cluster-chime (#33) and radio (#30) and the draw drain stopped.

One person mentioned in a post that they had a glove box light that was not turning off which caused a dead battery with powering being pulled through fuse #33. So there is one possibility, but I don't think my Caprice has a glove box light since it was a police car, I never looked but will tomorrow (later today after work).

Another post mentioned the courtesy center (its late & I probably remember that name wrong), where the hazard relays are, under the dash to the left of the brake pedal; the relay for the chime may have gone bad. The fix was to find one in a junk yard.

Since I'm offering the car for sale, I'm going to either fix it or sell as is with the #33 fuse pulled. but I'd rather fix it. I have the FSM.

Does anyone know, or have experience with fuse #33 draining a battery on their Caprice? I haven't hooked anything extra electrical crap up. The car is stock and doesn't move much at all, no kids or pets or my big feet under the dash pulling or tugging on wires. Hoping someone can save me some time.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The problem was the convenience chime relay. Fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jim Paley
1 - 2 of 2 Posts