Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I take the frontend from a 96 9C1 and put it under a 96 Impala, if so will I run into any major problems or issues that I need to prepare for before I get started? Or can I just unbolt the a-arms, steering, etc. from the 9C1 and bolt it back on to the Impala?

If you think I totally out of my mind.......YOUR RIGHT!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What are you trying to accomplish?

Only parts that are different are the lower A-arms and spindles (both set up for the 5/8" balljoints). Everything else is identical.

Usually, stripping used parts from a 9 year old cop car isn't gonna end up being much of an "upgrade" for the work ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
What are you trying to accomplish?

Only parts that are different are the lower A-arms and spindles (both set up for the 5/8" balljoints). Everything else is identical.

Usually, stripping used parts from a 9 year old cop car isn't gonna end up being much of an "upgrade" for the work ;)
Unless 9C1's FE was rebuilt[w/quality parts] recently, of course!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So do I forget it, or rebuild the 9c1 FE and place it under the Impala. Keep in mind the Impala frontend is a bit loose and could use a rebuild anyway.
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my 2 cents are at least get the lower control arms and spindles that way you can upgrade your ball joints then do the rebuild

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by TBA96DGGM:
So do I forget it, or rebuild the 9c1 FE and place it under the Impala. Keep in mind the Impala frontend is a bit loose and could use a rebuild anyway.
Thanks
That's the best idea I've heard all week;
*Rebuild FE on one car[9C1],
*Then transfer all parts over to another[SS].
====

You are from this Planet, right? :confused:

You may be under the misconception, that FE bolts up to a vehicle in one piece? .......NOT!
FYI, it's rebuilt component by component.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by LarryCigar:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TBA96DGGM:
Thanks
That's the best idea I've heard all week;
*Rebuild FE on one car[9C1],
*Then transfer all parts over to another[SS].
====

You are from this Planet, right? :confused:

You may be under the misconception, that FE bolts up to a vehicle in one piece? .......NOT!
FYI, it's rebuilt component by component.
</font>[/QUOTE]So what about just swapping the lower control arms and spindles and then rebuild the SS FE? Will I gain anything or just wasting time?
Is there anything else worth swapping from the 9c1 to the SS?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 96 9C1 got larger lower balljoints and spindles and lower a-arms to match. I know this will cause some heated debate but I say you will "gain" stronger parts where stronger parts are not needed. The original 9/16" joints got you this far keep the replacments well lubed and they will probably outlast the rest of the car, so I see no gain to the 5/8" joints.

A 9C1 and Impala are just another Caprice, get over it they are nothing special.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by 96capriceMGR:
...A 9C1 and Impala are just another Caprice, get over it they are nothing special.
But I thought all 9c1's came with a special "cop chip"?

Kidding!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by: 96capriceMGR
--------------------------------------------------
The 96 9C1 got larger lower balljoints and spindles and lower a-arms to match. I know this will cause some heated debate but I say you will "gain" stronger parts where stronger parts are not needed. The original 9/16" joints got you this far keep the replacments well lubed and they will probably outlast the rest of the car, so I see no gain to the 5/8" joints.

A 9C1 and Impala are just another Caprice, get over it they are nothing special
--------------------------------------------------
But what if he wants to be able to leap the tallest speedbump or jump the highest curb

96CapriceMGR is right, there isn't really anything special about having the 9c-1 frontend unless you plan on doin alot of the above. I have a 96 9c-1 and truthfully, I wish that I had just the standard. When you try to rebuild a 9c-1
most of the idiot suppliers out there don't know the difference between them and will send you the wrong parts, even though you clearly stated what you need

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.