Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is about time that I make an introduction post I suppose since I will FINALLY be getting my car. I bought a ’96 Buick Roadmaster (Wagon) back in February with plans to either have my dad drive it out to me or to go get it myself. Then, the whole COVID crisis happened. Between school, family, and military travel restrictions it has taken me nearly 6 months to get the thing out to Idaho where I live. It’s hard to say whether the anticipation has made this a more or less exciting as the initial hype of buying it has worn off (and the wife’s distaste set in). Either way, in my dad’s freetime he has already done some fixing up for me so hopefully it will be ready to daily when it gets here.
I‘ll attach a few pictures I have from the guy I bought it from.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congratulations and welcome, that is a very nice looking car. May you be blessed with many enjoyable miles driving it with your family. You will get a lot of useful information here. Cheers, Dezrat

·
Super Moderator
8,392 Posts
GM paint/clearcoat wasn't very durable. You may be best off finding a junk set of SS rims and having them refinished or powdercoated. I'd look around at local options for that first, then decide what your target price for SS wheels is in case you find a really good set. But having a junk set refinished would get you far more durability.

The ones you have on there don't look bad, so just keep them in good condition until you find SS wheels ready to go. That'd be my two cents.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like what you have, but I like the SS rims as well. Either looks darn good.
What size rims are those? Those rear disks look large. Will there be any clearance problem if you switch rims?

Reactions: HendersonRacing514

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may be best off finding a junk set of SS rims and having them refinished or powdercoated.
My brother-in-law did that same thing on his Volvo-240 wagon- bought old SS wheels and powdercoated them. He has no regrets.

I like what you have, but I like the SS rims as well. Either looks darn good.
What size rims are those? Those rear disks look large. Will there be any clearance problem if you switch rims?
Not sure on the size. The car wont be here until Saturday for me to see. I believe you are seeing is just part of the rim though. It should be drums in the rear since its a RM. I really like the idea of old school racing wheels like torque thrusts with more sidewall, but these wheels are close. I think I’d rather spend the money on sway bars and suspension!

·
Super Moderator
8,392 Posts
Bilstein 1104/0929 shocks and a rear sway bar from an early 2000's Ford Crown Victoria will help that wagon ride very nicely. The stock springs are pretty soft; there are stiffer springs out there for more control but you will feel more bumps. There's always a tradeoff on springs. Definitely search around on this forum for swaybar and spring information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve read a lot about it.. Is, then, the consensus DON’T change the springs, just change the shocks? I’m considering some adjustable airbags too. Sounds like with that combo I should be set for all the camping I could ever want.

·
Super Moderator
8,392 Posts
If your roadmaster has the tow package, the stiffer springs are very nice for cruising, IMHO. The stock non-towpack springs were very soft, and may be worth upgrading.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My RM is a non-tow pack car. Pros and cons to both but is just what I found in good conditions, somewhere it could get picked up, and priced right.

If your roadmaster has the tow package, the stiffer springs are very nice for cruising, IMHO. The stock non-towpack springs were very soft, and may be worth upgrading.
So is that the FE2 package then and the FE1 is the non-tow pack? Then fleetwood is the FE3? Why would going to the fleetwood rates springs not be cushier? It’s a cadillac after all.

Before you change shocks, get these while you can:

For positions 1,2,4,6.. Dirt cheap at $5 each.
Just because they will be discontinued or it is an optimal time? Seems unrelated to the shocks.

Thanks guys,
Colin

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Yes they will be discontinued (well, long ago discontinued, a better word is unavailable) like every other part has been on this 25 year old platform. Last remaining mount available and wagon specific. Just a few months ago, top mount for #4 position (#330986) was available but not now. Very related to the shocks and suspension in general. Makes little sense to install good shocks on a loose body.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, grandpas wagon. I’m not sure what all that job entails but I may go ahead and order them so I have them available when I get around to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts