Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Caprice Classic and am converting it to as close as I can get SS. What mods do I need to make to get the rims to fit and the suspension to the point of being close to an original SS? In particular will the original SS rims bolt up and fit that body without mods? Do I need to lower it, if so how much? Is the steering gear box different? Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GW9C1,

Can you send me a PM also, I would like to see the answers to the same questions.

regards

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can anyone tell me if there is anything different on the suspension between the two cars? Springs, front end, gear box, etc? Thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by gdh11:
Can anyone tell me if there is anything different on the suspension between the two cars? Springs, front end, gear box, etc? Thanks
The springs and shocks are different. The sway bars are the same.
Check you SPID lable in the trunk and see what the code is for the suspension. Sport suspension or Trailer tow package will have the same steering box as the SS.
The SS wheels will fit perfectly.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The differences from the factory are the springs and shocks.

The rest applies to 94-96 cars.

Is your car a civilian caprice or a police package 9C1 caprice? All of them have the same front brakes as the SS, but only the 9C1 will have the rear discs that the SS got as well, a civilian car will have rear drums. A 9C1 rear axle is slightly narrower, but SS rims will still bolt right on to it. The car won't look "right" without spacers to push the wheels out slightly, park a 9C1 on SS rims next to an SS and you will see what I mean.

A civilian caprice might not have the same swaybars as an SS does, but a 9C1 will. Either way, ALL the SS/9C1 parts will bolt on.

Also, a 9C1 and an SS both have "fast" ratio steering, I believe it is 12.8:1. A civilian caprice will have a slower ratio steering gear and thus the steering wheel needs to turn further to make the car turn the same radius corner.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
454SS,

It has rear drums and I think it has the towing package and sport suspension. So from what I get from the info is that I need to change springs and shocks, is that correct?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by gdh11:
454SS,

It has rear drums and I think it has the towing package and sport suspension. So from what I get from the info is that I need to change springs and shocks, is that correct?
That should take care of it.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the spid code label in the trunk has the code:

B4U, This is the trailer tow package and if so, you have the same rear axle as the SS except for drum brakes instead of disc and the gear ratio of the axle will be 2.93 vers the SS 3.08. The disc brake backing plates and hangers will bolt right up to the axle, but it does require pulling the axle shafts out to swap the backing plates.

Spring height and belt drive cooling fan are some other differences between SS and B4U Caprice.

Page 2 of the Cardomain in my signature line is a 96 Caprice Classic B4U (Heavy duty tow package)
I had done everything to the outside except for the SS wheels and springs, and I've heard the guy that bought it has done those so the outside SS look is complete. Wish I could see it now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts