Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I thought I had found the fix for this in another thread on this forum, but I think I misunderstood that the 96 Impala fix (resistor failure) would work on my '96 Caprice.

The speedometer would fade out occasionally every once in awhile, but I could rap the plastic gauge cover with my knuckles and it would always come back on. Gradually it happened more and more, now it's just out for good no matter how much smacking.

There are no resistors on the back of my gauge cluster circuit board. I already took the speedo part out, saw 2 of the pins (one top and one on the bottom) were pushed in, so I gently pulled them back out. Put speedometer back in and no joy. ??? What am I missing? Please help me...

Guess I'm gonna wipe down the contacts with alcohol on back of the speedo board as well as the springy contacts in the gauge cluster and put it all back together again and see what happens as I don't know what else I can do...been searching this forum and the intarweb for hours and don't see any fixes other than what I just mentioned. Again I thought it was the resistor thing but apparently that's only on 96 Impalas, correct me if I'm wrong.

Please please help...

Thanks,
-Brian

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I cleaned the heck out of all the contacts on both the speedo circuit board and the gauge cluster, even gently bent the contacts out on the gauge circuit board. I even lightly sanded the contacts on both pieces. Put it back together, and nope it is still just stone dead. Dammit.

Any ideas? I hate to have to send it somewhere. Thanks...

-Brian

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
You wasn’t supposed to sand those contacts down, now you’ll have to build them back up with solder that’ll solve your problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out Model Electronics.They can repair any cluster.
Hey thanks a ton for that reference, I *never* would have found them otherwise. I did end up sending my cluster in and it did turn out that the glass LED part was dead, nothing I tried to do was going to help.

You were right, they were able to fix it. It was a lot, ~$275 or thereabouts, but it's fixed and works perfect and bright and probably will for forever now. So, thanks man! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts