Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 96 Caprice Classic with the LT1 that I have loaned to my Dad. It has the towing package with HD cooling, i.e. has a mechanical fan in addition to the electric one. He is changing the A/C compressor and found that the drive belt tensioner for the mechanical fan is bad. He has been unable to find a new one. This is NOT the accessory drive belt tensioner, it is for the mechanical fan belt.

Anyone have any advice/tips/point me somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
From searching "mechanical fan tensioner" I found these threads on the first page.

The search has more possibilities.

·
Super Moderator
9,366 Posts
They're unobtanium, unfortunately. For now, just leave the belt off and you'll be OK, especially if you're not towing with it.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Wild that searching for this thread, I came upon one of my posts looking for a tensioner back in 2016. I had totally forgotten, but I couldn’t locate one using all the traditional methods. So even back then they were tricky to find.

I ended up buying one from Fred Kehl on the forum here.
Might be your best bet, hitting up the forum for sale sections for someone that has an old one laying around after a electric conversion. Or has access to a decent junkyard source.
Hopefully it’s just a bearing which makes repair much easier … and probably gets you a better bearing assembly than something that’s been sitting for ages in a yard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts