Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 96, owned it from day one. its been parked for about 4 years. I took it out this spring and been driving it pretty much every day.

when i got it out of storage it wouldnt crank. I thought it was a starter problem only to find the same problem after i swapped the starter. I noticed some arcing from behind the altenator. come to find out ground was corroded. I dissasembled cleaned everything up and re-assembled ground connection. it started right up in about a half a crank.

about 3 weeks ago I had a Pass Key problem. after a little research I fixed it with a potentiometer as I wasnt getting continuity through key. my baby started right up after both keys stopped working.

I noticed recently, but it first began in the middle of the hot summer with the air running and cruise cortrol on, when I would hit a bump the cruise would shut off.

lately I notice the radio light flashing dim to normal brightness. also at the same time my ABS light flashes in unicen with it. MY ABS LIGHT IS ON now all the time as my reluctor gear broke when I swapped rear gears.

SO HERE IS THE CRUX OF THE PROBLEM. EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT. CAR RUNS LIKE RAPED APE. BUT WHEN HEADLIGHTS, WIPERS, CRUISE, AC, OR A COMBINATION OF A COUPLE: THE TACH, AND SPEEDOMETER FLOP AROUND LIKE A DEAD FISH.

so the question is, can this be a ground problem still? any help is greatly appreciated.

thx -Bill

· Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
631 Posts
Sure sounds like a classic ground troubles to me. I would remove and clean all grounds and see what happens.

· Registered
145 Posts
Clean the grounds at the coil location. You also might check the grounds just inside each of the front door jambs. Pop off the sill plates (4 phillips screws) and check the 10mm hex head screws.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.