Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has a 96 FSM that can post or email me the schematic for the shifter mounted safety switch?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Are you just after what the wires go to? If so, check the stickies on installing the 96 Shifter setup.

Cant remember the thread, but I swapped over from a 95 Column shift to the 96 floor shift and there were 5 wires as opposed to 6 on the 96 Safety Switch. I had all the colors and what they go to plotted out in that thread.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen those. They don't help putting it in an 89. They just say "it's the same as a 95 with an extra wire". Doesn't help.

I just want to know what the wires all go to.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
This might help with some of it.....

http://www.goldsswagon.com/diagrams/impala_shiftlock.pdf

Check his site and see if you can track down other schematics. I think it was a green and or purple wire that control your backup light coming on when in reverse. So that helps narrow down what's left.

There are also schematics you can buy for a specific car. I have a set (PDF file) that I bought for my 95, won't help much with the 96 unless you want me to check that and you try to cross reference that somehow to the 96 wires.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
So I checked my schematics for the 95. Keep in mind that it uses 5 wires on the n/s switch and it was 3 separate connectors. The 96 has 6 wires for the n/s switch on 1 connector. Maybe using the other thread will help you decipher this.

I checked each circuit which uses the switch and this is what I came up with....

Pin A - blk/what wire - ground to driver side head
Pin B - org/blk wire - ECM park/neutral signal - connector C pin 15
C2 pin A - lt. Green - shift interlock
C3 pin A - pink - Fuse 12 on L Panel (15 amp)
C3 pin B - Lt Green - backup lights.

HTH

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for trying, but none of that helps. I already looked at everuthing on that site., and the ground is the only color that matches a 95.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Sorry, thought they may help. maybe someone else will have a 96 schematic for you.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks 4doorSS.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
If you haven't got it yet I will see what I can do.

The thing about the 96, it has low current wiring for the start circuit requiring a relay ( uses the theft deterrent relay ) so you will need a relay as the switch will not carry the starter sol. load

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing yet. Thank you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
1996 Impala SS Park/Neutral Position Switch

Maybe this will help:

Six wire to one connector 1996 Impala SS
6-way F Metri-Pack blk part #12015307
All wires are in one row of 6 labeled A B C D E F
A black/white = ground
B orange/black = Brake/Trans/Shift/Interlock solenoid
C Pink = fuse #12
D lt green = backup lights
E purple = to theft deterrent relay
F yellow = to theft deterrent relay

A&B connected in P & N
C&D connected in R
E&F connected in P&N

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome, thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.