Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 96 Ss, the car runs fine, not stalls, no stumbles, etc. That said my fuel pump is the loudest one I have heard on a car. With a half tank you can hear that baby loud and clear from the outside and some in the car till you are moving. Is this normal? My 1994 9C1 I never heard that one.

·
Registered
531 Posts

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
The fuel pump is screaming "replace me, replace me, replace me." The pump is louder below 1/2 tank because, it is exposed, and the fuel does not muffle it. If it is annoying you should just go ahead and replace it. Better to replace it now than have it strand you somewhere and have to replace it anyway.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yeah mine just left me high and dry, popping fuses and everything! Just ordered another Racetronix with the harness and everything, its worth it!!!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the tank need to come out to do this? Please say it does not?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
You have to drop it. So yes, you have to take it out. No problem, there is a thread detailing the process.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
never mind, I see a thread that makes it clear it has to come down. Why the hell can't they make these dang thing trunk accessible.

·
Registered
909 Posts
never mind, I see a thread that makes it clear it has to come down. Why the hell can't they make these dang thing trunk accessible.
haha that would be too much like right!!! Good luck, just make sure you have as little gas as possible in the tank.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Does the tank need to come out to do this? Please say it does not?
very easy to do.only special tool you need is a fuel line removal tool.any parts store for about 10 bucks.i have done this in about 1 hr 1/2 in my driveway (with help) by myself about 3hrs.also need 2 floor jacks.

·
Premium Member
5,049 Posts
Put a friggin fuel filter in it first!!!!.

You are going to need one anyway with the new pump so you have nothing to lose.
I do this for a living and have seen filters so plugged badly with the car running fine because the pump is beating it self to death to overcome the restriction.
You can have the correct pressure at the rails and the pump pressure sky high.
Some noisy pumps have quieted right down to reasonable levels

Sure , the pump is very possibly done, but why wouldn't you start at the easy place

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Put a friggin fuel filter in it first!!!!.

You are going to need one anyway with the new pump so you have nothing to lose.
I do this for a living and have seen filters so plugged badly with the car running fine because the pump is beating it self to death to overcome the restriction.
You can have the correct pressure at the rails and the pump pressure sky high.
Some noisy pumps have quieted right down to reasonable levels

Sure , the pump is very possibly done, but why wouldn't you start at the easy place
do you know of any upgrades for the fuel filter to work with the stock pump ?

·
Premium Member
5,049 Posts
I don't know of a "better" filter that fits in the stock configuration nor do I think you need one with stockish pumps and lines.

Granted, guys with serious combos require bigger-better-more but that doesn't apply here.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
where is the filer? And how do I change it? Don't I have to depressurize the line or something? It is worth a try I guess.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
anyone? Ha ha ha

Where is the filter? What is involved in changing it? Do I need special tools? Don't I have to depressure the gas line??

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
If you are going to work on your car get an FSM. The fuel filter is on the inside of the PS frame rail below the rear door. You should be able to get the filter off with the pinch tabs on the fuel line. You may need a fuel line tool available at Autozone or equivalent. You will have to unbolt the filter holder bracket. Relieve the pressure before removing the lines, or you will wear some gasoline.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
relieve pressure where? I am told up on the fuel rail on motor? What am I looking for up there?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
STRANGE... the fuel filter on my '96 SS is up inside the frame rail on the driver's side (not 'PS') and just about below the rear door on that side.

You can relieve the pressure a number of ways - the safest being to pull the fuel pump fuse (blue, 15 AMP fuse in the under-hood fuse box, marked 'FP") and crank the engine for a moment. Then take the (black) cap off the schrader valve (at the rear of the intake manifold) and open the valve (like a bicycle tire) to be sure that the pressure has released. Then take off your gas cap and put it back on (this relieves any pressure in the tank).
(not sure that this is a problem if your fuel pump has not been running and you've been trying to start the car - but you asked)

NOTE: EVEN IF YOU RELIEVE THE FUEL PRESSURE, YOU WILL STILL HAVE GAS IN THE FUEL LINES AND FILTER - DO NOT USE A 'PLUG-IN' DROP LIGHT - USE A BATTERY OPERATED LIGHT! This will prevent one single drop of gas hitting a hot (plugged in) lightbulb ans blowing your a$$ up. Ask me how close I got to learning this the hard way.

Then take a wrench to the single bolt holding the filter in place and loosen the bolt (but leave it in place for now). Squeeze the plastic 'ears' on on end of one of the fuel lines at the filter, push the line 'in' towards the filter a little and then pull the line off the filter. (it helps to have something under the car with you to catch about 1/2 cup of gas) Do the same for the other line and then remove /replace the fiter.

Your new filter (WIX brand is MUCH better than Fram) will be marked with which end goes toward the tank and/or engine.

HTH.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts