Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ac blows cold but I notice when you switch from AC to AC max there is no change in the blowing power? The switch piece has been changed. Any ideas?cwm6

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Not supposed to be. The only thing that changes is the source of the intake air.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Not supposed to be. The only thing that changes is the source of the intake air.

Fords have more "cooling" power when switched to max, as me how I know :(

It wasnt from a crown vic either lol.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my other 96...

Well I have my other 96 and it blows cold, on max it REALLY moves the air. This 96 doesnt do that, it seems "weak". Not sure where to search,

·
Registered
139 Posts
If I remember correctly, there is a resistor or something on the blower motor itself that controls the speed...

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
I thought "Max" merely pulled in outside air as opposed to recirculating cabin air? Blower speed doesn't change (on non-climate control systems anyway). So if there is no change then it wouldn't be a blower issue but a vent/door problem which I'd guess is controlled by a small solenoid or electric motor?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hmmm..maybe that's the difference then...as I have the climate control system on both my Olds and Buick...

I remember having to replace the blower motor/resistor on the Olds cause the "high" setting stopped working...

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
You'd think one of the brainiacs around here would know this off the top of their heads. As far as I can remember on, say, my Dodge truck "Max" moves a panel in the duct work that draws air either from inside or outside thru a filter. The last car I had that wasn't Climate Control...man, what was that thing... Anybody that watches "House" and believes he could function that well on years of Vicodin, lemme tell ya, it ain't so...anyway, whatever it was we had to replace a small motor that operated that same sort of door.

Someone had a complete heater/vent duct housing for sale here just recently with a pic, or a link to a pic. It might all be visible in that pic...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I thought "Max" merely pulled in outside air as opposed to recirculating cabin air? Blower speed doesn't change (on non-climate control systems anyway). So if there is no change then it wouldn't be a blower issue but a vent/door problem which I'd guess is controlled by a small solenoid or electric motor?
It's the opposite, 'Max A/C' pulls air from the car's interior and cools it, instead of outside air. Every car I've had blows colder and harder on Max. Maybe you have a door in the ductwork sticking or junk clogging something. Also, if you've replaced your fan motor and fan, the aftermarket ones are not as good as the originals.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay here is where I am at.....

I pulled the fan motor, compared it to another one and it was ALOT different, the blades were not as tall. Also it didnt just plug in, it was hard wired in??? So I pulled one from the 95 and still the smae issues, not really PUSHING the air like my other 96. So I pulled the resistor board and BINGO!! It had broken spring thingys so... I replaced it and STILL no BIG AIR coming thru. I even switched the AC control panel with another one.. STILL nothing changed. So I started to toy with the "solenoids" that control the apparently three doors under the dash in HVAC duct box. I noticed when I moved them it would blow much harder and shift fromn floor to vent.... SO does anyone know how the AC system pulls its vacum??????cwm3cwm8

1 - 10 of 10 Posts