Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the forums and couldnt find anything on that fuel tank side piece that looks like a gommet. I lifted my car because I was smelling fuel and it turns out to be leaking from there.
Will i have to buy a whole new tank or can i purchase that piece from somewhere. Here is a pic of that round gommet looking piece.
Automotive tire Gas Cooking Tread Cuisine

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think you are trying to show a molding hole that is sealed in during the making of the tank. It looks like it is at a shop? They don't know what to do? You can us a soldier iron to melt virgin plastic over the leaking area. You-Tube is your friend for this. When I fixed mine, I used plastic cut out from a NEW 5-gallon gas tank. Worked well. Patience is the key here. While you're at it replace everything else on the tank also if it has not been done recently. Fuel pump, hoses, etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just so we're 100 percent clear, you are referring to the area circled in red below, correct? If so, uvaldi's idea ("homemade" plastic hot welding) is probably your best bet; that most likely would have been part of the tank shell when it was blow-molded and only bored out for wagons, with the left-side fill neck, and then the spud which the fill hose clamps to would probably have been hot-plate welded on. Should go without saying, but this should not be attempted until the tank is COMPLETELY empty of any liquid fuel and has had time to "air out" virtually all residual vapor, as the tip of a soldering iron will be hotter than the autoignition temperature of most components of gasoline.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Bumper

1 - 3 of 3 Posts