Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Impala my father was original owner. I've driven the car since 15 years old and have done all maintenance to it, no problems. I parked the car in my mom's garage in 2012 the car was running. Within that time my brother in law and brother put their hands on it so it set the last 6 years once the couldn't start. I just got my car back, now I just can't get it to turn over. It will crank crank and crank but will not turn on. I've put a new fuel pump, fuel pump relay,checked all fuses all good, relays all good. If there is anyone out there who could give me some advise on this please help. Also was wondering there was a little black box under driver dash. Wondering if aftermarket alarm my brother put or what don't recall ever seeing that. Does anyone else have this black box .Any help is greatly appreciated. My brother and bro in law will not tell me anything they did to it
Electrical wiring Cable Gas Auto part Wire

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
this might or might not help, but sometimes if you do a little sexy dance in front of the car, it should turn on

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
What MWP said. Narrow down the problem. Having said that, that box dangling there certainly doesn't look stock. That twisted pair of brown and white wires looks suspicious, as well.

Reactions: Marky Dissod

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Also, look around for a kill switch. Assuming the car alarm is installed correctly, you may just have to flip a switch. The trick will be figuring out where those bastards hid it. That's probably why they won't say anything - they're wanting to see how long it takes you to find it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've tried everything even jamming songs I use to ride to hoping it would crank 😆
What MWP said. Narrow down the problem. Having said that, that box dangling there certainly doesn't look stock. That twisted pair of brown and white wires looks suspicious, as well.
Didn't think the box was original. I'm sure my brother put a aftermarket alarm, I found a small speaker under hood. It wasn't from me so going to get black box out. It also had some other twisted wires different colors. I'm hoping that's it, also going to check spark later today.
What MWP said. Narrow down the problem. Having said that, that box dangling there certainly doesn't look stock. That twisted
Also, look around for a kill switch. Assuming the car alarm is installed correctly, you may just have to flip a switch. The trick will be figuring out where those bastards hid it. That's probably why they won't say anything - they're wanting to see how long it takes you to find it.
Going to just eliminate the alarm all together. Just need to find some kind of original wire harness diagram to follow. Motor is turning strong just something minor I'm sure.
Electrical wiring Cable Gas Electricity Audio equipment

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
took fuel line off up by motor and it was leaking fuel after I tried to crank. So I believe yes it was pumping gas. I had blew lines out the day before so they were dry.
The presence of fuel does not mean pressure. I understand you can borrow a fuel pressure gauge from some auto parts stores.

For spark take out a spark plug ground it to the car. If you trust the spark plug wire you could hold it while someone tries to start the car. The spark should have a steady pattern. If you have, or can borrow a timing gun you can quickly check the high voltage coil wire and spark plug wires.

If you have fuel pressure check the injectors. people use a stick or long screw driver to touch a injector and their ear. You should hear the injector click. Again you could borrow a "noid light" that would plug in instead of a injector but this only proves the PCM is signalling the injector. Worst case some injectors may be stuck open or closed but in this case the engine would usually try to start or run badly.

The reason the forum focuses on spark and injectors first is that if they operate normally the OPTI is also functioning normally.

In most cases car alarms disable the starter circuit. This give the owner a obvious indication the car is disabled. IE: no starter.
Normally you would find a aftermarket relay cut into the yellow starter wire.

Standard alarm installs will have aftermarket relays to blink park lights and/or honk the horn. Other relays connecting to the ignition switch main power wires suggest a remote starter or a alarm disable. Or a lazy installer getting power from a "easy" place.

Like any motor you need air, fuel, and spark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The presence of fuel does not mean pressure. I understand you can borrow a fuel pressure gauge from some auto parts stores.

For spark take out a spark plug ground it to the car. If you trust the spark plug wire you could hold it while someone tries to start the car. The spark should have a steady pattern. If you have, or can borrow a timing gun you can quickly check the high voltage coil wire and spark plug wires.

If you have fuel pressure check the injectors. people use a stick or long screw driver to touch a injector and their ear. You should hear the injector click. Again you could borrow a "noid light" that would plug in instead of a injector but this only proves the PCM is signalling the injector. Worst case some injectors may be stuck open or closed but in this case the engine would usually try to start or run badly.

The reason the forum focuses on spark and injectors first is that if they operate normally the OPTI is also functioning normally.

In most cases car alarms disable the starter circuit. This give the owner a obvious indication the car is disabled. IE: no starter.
Normally you would find a aftermarket relay cut into the yellow starter wire.

Standard alarm installs will have aftermarket relays to blink park lights and/or honk the horn. Other relays connecting to the ignition switch main power wires suggest a remote starter or a alarm disable. Or a lazy installer getting power from a "easy" place.

Like any motor you need air, fuel, and spark.
Thanks, just purchased a spark plug tester from harbor freight. Going to try that first, then just going to pull alarm off. I'm here the starter turn don't think it's starter. I will try starter as well

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Here is a list of common alarm connection points.
If you remove the alarm good practice is to check each patch point for damage.

IMPALA 94-96

Constant 12V+ Red Ignition Switch Harness
Starter Yellow Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition Pink Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition 2 BROWN Ignition Switch Harness, (check engine light)
Accessory Orange Ignition Switch Harness
Tach Red/Black Or Pink/Black (-) at Multi Coil Pack
Neutral Safety Wire Orange/Black Gear Select Switch
Brake Switch White Brake Switch
Trunk Release Black/White Switch
Trunk Pin Dark Green (-) Driver's Kick Panel (Rear Body Harness) (96)
Parking Lights Brown Light Switch
Head Lamp Yellow Light Switch
Door Trigger White (-) Driver's Pin Switch
Door Lock Light Blue Behind Driver's Kick Panel
Door Unlock White Positive Trigger
Horn Wire Black (-) Steering Column

CAPRICE
Constant 12V+ Red Ignition Switch Harness
Starter Yellow Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition Pink Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition 2 BROWN Ignition Switch Harness, (check engine light)
Accessory Orange Ignition Switch Harness
Tach White Or Purple/White (-) At Coil V8 or Multi Coil V6
Neutral Safety Wire Orange/Black Gear Select Switch
Brake Switch White Brake Switch
Trunk Release Black Switch
Trunk Pin Dark Green (-) Driver's Kick Panel
Parking Lights Brown Light Switch
Head Lamp Yellow Light Switch
Door Trigger Blue/White (-) Driver's Pin Switch
Door Lock Light Blue Behind Driver's Kick Panel
Door Unlock White Positive Trigger
Horn Wire Black (-) Steering Column

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
perhaps that black box could be the part of a remote start system?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts