Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,771 Posts
Unless you're doing a stock restoration, I wouldn't worry about it. It's normally-open switch that closes at 327F, telling the PCM to be nicer to the transmission. Just tuck the wire out of the way so it doesn't ground on something and it'll be fine. Plug the port with a pipe plug.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Anybody know where I can get the transmission high temp sensor in the brass block for tranny, or if they sale sensor only? If you guys can help me out with the part #.
Unless you're doing a stock restoration, I wouldn't worry about it.
It's a normally-open switch that closes at 327°F, telling the PCM to be nicer to the transmission.
Just tuck the wire out of the way so it doesn't ground on something and it'll be fine.
Plug the port with a pipe plug.
Wish I could tell you the L99 equivalent part number, but yea, frakken useless.
327°F is about 100°F too late anyway.
Do not bother with it, do as sherlock9c1 says unless you're into wasting money.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
The switch isn't sold separately from the pipe. These are the part numbers for the pipe and switch from the parts manual:

10270307: 1995 - 1996 B (LT1, KNP)
10269708: 1994 - 1996 B (LT1) (EXC KNP)

LT1: LT1 engine
KNP: COOLING SYSTEM, TRANSMISSION, HEAVY DUTY

If you want the OEM part for a 1996 Impala SS, it looks like you need 10270307. Unfortunately, it's an obsolete part.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The switch isn't sold separately from the pipe.
These are the part numbers for the pipe and switch from the parts manual:

10270307: 1995 - 1996 B (LT1, KNP)
10269708: 1994 - 1996 B (LT1) (EXC KNP)

LT1: LT1 engine
KNP: COOLING SYSTEM, TRANSMISSION, HEAVY DUTY

If you want the OEM part for a 1996 Impala SS, it looks like you need 10270307.
Unfortunately, it's an obsolete part.
What is the part number for the L99's pipe? The pipe that lacks this useless unnecessary switch?

(Also, KNP is a very rare cooling system configuration, especially here at the ISSF.
Only Gerry's cars seem to have had it?)

(Gerry has corrected my error below. That said, LT1 Caprices with KNP are still very rare.)

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
(Also, KNP is a very rare cooling system configuration, especially here at the ISSF - only Gerry's cars seem to have had it?)
My car was never KNP . I have though ,personally worked on 3 different LT1 wagons that were.
StriperSS's 95 Caprice was one of them

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Still seems an easy location for a trans temp gauge sender....

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Anybody know where I can get the transmission high temp sensor in the brass block for tranny, or if they sale sensor only? If you guys can help me out with the part #.
I just saw the block assembly on ebay last week.NOS GM for our 94-96 it had the sensor and short line, if you still want the sensor.
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts