Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to delete the oil cooler on a 96 SS? I am going to do this so I can run the headers.
I believe that there are two bolts holding the oil cooler onto the block, remove those and then that should allow the filter adapter to be removed. I believe there are some studs or something that I will have to grind down or get new bolts for? Does anybody know what I am talking about and does anyone have photos?

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They say you can just swap the bolts out with shorter ones so it doesn't hit the filter.

Will that allow me to run the PF454 filter?

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I've deleted the oil cooler lines on a few 94-96 LT1 B cars,including my 94 B4U. Here's some pics. I go to junk yard and find a 94-96 L99 Caprice oil filter adapter housing and bolts. Direct oem fit and cost usually $10 at my local yard. I then use either the Felpro or GM gasket/o-ring seal kit.And we keep our stock size oil filter PF52,etc....Be sure to take your time clean the gasket surfaces on block.
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Jimpala95 Is it true that there is the provision for the old SBC style filter already on the block? That's what everyone keeps telling me lol
I would like to leave the PF52 filter just because it is too long, a shorter one would be nicer for the application. It is possible that may work though and I will look at going this route as well :)

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
@Jimpala95 Is it true that there is the provision for the old SBC style filter already on the block? That's what everyone keeps telling me lol
I would like to leave the PF52 filter just because it is too long, a shorter one would be nicer for the application. It is possible that may work though and I will look at going this route as well :)
FWIW-If you plan on running full length headers,the common gen1 adapter will place the filter close to header tube,imo. The L99 one I shared above,keeps it further away.
Yes to your question,the early traditional gen1 sbc adapter everybody sells,will bolt on to our 94-96 LT1 engine.Here's a pic of the eng block without any adapter,and one with the L99 adapter bolted on with no filter screwed on.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Or ,leave the cooler lines be. Relocate the filter instead. Allows use of full size filter(s) if desired.
Coil Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Cable

Reactions: nsaness

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would rather run the shorter filter than relocate.
I also wanted to delete the oil cooler lines when they were leaking a while ago anyways. Should have listened to myself in the first place lol.

@Jimpala95 Thanks for the advice I will see if I can pick one up near me. The junkyards where I live are pretty garbage. Thank you for the photos as well. I have been too busy to get under the car recently.

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have the SBC filter adapter on and the filter, started the car for a minute and no leaks. Working good, now just need to get my headers back and installed.

Last thing on this topic, what should I use to plug up the radiator holes that are left?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Last thing on this topic, what should I use to plug up the radiator holes that are left?
Do you mean the holes to and from the motor oil sidetank that you are not using?

Until you come up with a more aesthetically pleasing solution, anything you like in the meantime.
Both the temporary and the permanent solution should be easily undone at a whim.

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correct the inlet and outlet to the radiator.

Was curious if anyone knew what sort of threaded plug I could use or had a recommendation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts