Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 keeps breaking the passenger upper ball joint its been replaced 3 times for the same problem.. Anyone else ever have that problem that can help me out????

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Just as on the lower ball joint position, the likelihood is damage to the upper ball joint mating position on the spindle/knuckle itself.

Solution: replace the spindle/knuckle
You need to know how the ball joint is breaking before suggesting a fix.
There is not near enough info in the post to make an educated guess.

OP, HOW is the ball joint breaking. DO you have any pics?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to know how the ball joint is breaking before suggesting a fix.
There is not near enough info in the post to make an educated guess.

OP, HOW is the ball joint breaking. DO you have any pics?
No i just got it friday, i bought it from my cousin and he has fixed it since the last time it broke. The car has been parked for awhile for that same reason (it breaking the ball joint) but last i remember it would break the bearing also and not sure if the rotor also from where the car was being driven and it broke. I have not moved the car from his driveway because im scared it will do the same thing while bringing it home. Which brought me here to get a better idea as to what it might be so i can get me a list gong of what parts im going to need.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you post pictures of the broken ball joint? Without knowing what or where it if failing you may need a new control arm, ball joint, and spindle.
Its not broken at the moment dude my cousin fixed it before i bought it but i dont wana move it from his driveway just yet because i dont want it breaking on me while moving it.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
kid, where are you located?

If you have no experience with this potential problem, you need to find someone in the B-body community that's close enough to put their eyeballs on the problem, or find a competent shop that can at least tell you what the problem may be.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kid, where are you located?

If you have no experience with this potential problem, you need to find someone in the B-body community that's close enough to put their eyeballs on the problem, or find a competent shop that can at least tell you what the problem may be.
Im in dallas texas, ill post pics later when i get it home. Ill put it on jackstands and take pics of everything down there. I was thinking of replacing everything on that side and going from there.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Im in dallas texas, ill post pics later when i get it home. Ill put it on jackstands and take pics of everything down there. I was thinking of replacing everything on that side and going from there.
Pics will help, especially of the old broken one if your cousin still has it. Don't replace things--find the problem first. Your cousin can help with some answers:

1. How did the other ones break--the bolts on top of the joint? The stud on the bottom? Get the history of the problem.

2. Did he use a torque wrench? If no, then he's been tightening the nuts wrong each time. It's easy to do them too tight, and a bolt or stud is likely to break.

3. Got giant rims? They're hard on ball joints.

4. Does he have a shop manual to give you for the car?

Good luck and enjoy your new car!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pics will help, especially of the old broken one if your cousin still has it. Don't replace things--find the problem first. Your cousin can help with some answers:

1. How did the other ones break--the bolts on top of the joint? The stud on the bottom? Get the history of the problem.

2. Did he use a torque wrench? If no, then he's been tightening the nuts wrong each time. It's easy to do them too tight, and a bolt or stud is likely to break.

Will do. Thanks ill have those answers tomorrow and i should have a better idea at what im looking at.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

#3 is the question I was thinking while reading this thread.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
No i just got it friday, i bought it from my cousin and he has fixed it since the last time it broke. The car has been parked for awhile for that same reason (it breaking the ball joint) but last i remember it would break the bearing also and not sure if the rotor also from where the car was being driven and it broke. I have not moved the car from his driveway because im scared it will do the same thing while bringing it home. Which brought me here to get a better idea as to what it might be so i can get me a list gong of what parts im going to need.
I must say, this entire thread has got to be one of the most vague threads I've seen in a while. :confused:

First off welcome to the Forum, but before you title and start your thread/question with "ball joint" and use words like "break", you may actually want to confirm that is the problem. :). Like Bill, I also assumed the ball joint stud snapped and this can happen if the tapered hole for the spindle is enlarged or damaged. Pretty unlikely any other type of "breakage" will occur with the upper BJ, they will wear but don't often "break".

I know you said you will post some pics, but that may not really show where damage is present in the front end.....UNLESS, you are CERTAIN that what you pictured is the ONLY problem with the frontend. If you are as concerned as you sound driving the car, you may want to first have a knowledgable friend help inspect it OR have it towed to a shop and have them fully evaluate the problem(s) with it and go from there. Frankly, there could be a lot of stuff going on with the front end that you have not considered and may be basing your post on bad info from your cousin.....just my $.02. :D.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I must say, this entire thread has got to be one of the most vague threads I've seen in a while. :confused:

First off welcome to the Forum, but before you title and start your thread/question with "ball joint" and use words like "break", you may actually want to confirm that is the problem. :). Like Bill, I also assumed the ball joint stud snapped and this can happen if the tapered hole for the spindle is enlarged or damaged. Pretty unlikely any other type of "breakage" will occur with the upper BJ, they will wear but don't often "break".

I know you said you will post some pics, but that may not really show where damage is present in the front end.....UNLESS, you are CERTAIN that what you pictured is the ONLY problem with the frontend. If you are as concerned as you sound driving the car, you may want to first have a knowledgable friend help inspect it OR have it towed to a shop and have them fully evaluate the problem(s) with it and go from there. Frankly, there could be a lot of stuff going on with the front end that you have not considered and may be basing your post on bad info from your cousin.....just my $.02. :D.
Well ill be seeing my cousin later on tonight I'll get the rest of the info on how it was really breaking.... Last i remember the bolts were good it had broke from the tapered part that goes into the spindle but yea i already talked to my dads friend and he will be coming to take a look at it sometime this week.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK well here are some pics of how the car sits right now on the side being discussed. I also have the correct info of the vehicles problems.

k well I have pics of how it sits right now, I couldn't get a pic of the old ones because they have been trashed.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.