Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 died the other day pulling out of a drive-thru and started right back up but died again after about 2 seconds. Tried starting it up several more times, pumped the gas after letting the pump prime up and it would fire, rev up then die after about 2 seconds. Tested fuel pressure(43psi), checked spark with a timing light at the plug(has spark), sprayed ether down the tb(fires right up and dies). I had the resistor installed in the VATS when I first bought it(tested the resistor compared to my 2 keys and they are the same at .67 ohms). Had the ignition module tested at AZ and was fine. I'm stumped, could it be the BCM for the VATS went bad? Thought I had tuned out the VATS when I had the PCM done but can't remember. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
sprayed ether down the tb(fires right up and dies).
i assume the above means you sprayed gas into the TB and the car started. it fuel.

sounds to me that your FP is on its last leg befor it completly fails like all elec devices its intermittent functionality.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a brand new 255lph fuel pump and it has a steady 43 psi during cranking...I think its more in the line of the injectors not working...just dont know what would cause that

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had spark on the little spark tester at the spark plug end when my rotor had fallen off due to it being installed improperly.

What's the status of your opti?

-KP

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything on this car is damn near new...opti is new and I used locktite for the rotor

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a noid light for the injectors today and it lights up so it's not the vats...so the injectors open, it has 43 psi and no bleed off but its fuel??? Maybe its the damn opti again or the harness?

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Got a noid light for the injectors today and it lights up so it's not the vats...so the injectors open, it has 43 psi and no bleed off but its fuel??? Maybe its the damn opti again or the harness?
ok if its the opti the car would not start when you spray gas in the tb.

please correct me if i am wrong..

everything is working but the car wont start, if you help the car start by putting gas where it needs to go ...it starts

but yet your trouble shooting something else?

i am confused here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It also starts when the key is first turned on without spraying anything down the TB! Pump the gas a few times and it revs up then dies...dont think its a fuel issue anymore since nothing is pointing to fuel problems with 43 psi even after it dies and the 255lph pump is very audible...Maybe I'm not thinkin straight but I dont see a fuel problem

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check the fuses for the injectors in the under hood fuse/relay box...
Doubt it could be a fuse since the noid light pulsed during cranking...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate the replies Wolf...

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got my buddy over with a code scanner and I've got the dreaded p0372 code...3rd opti in the last couple of years in this thing! I decided to check the vent harness on it, plugged solid so I'm sure that didnt help! I'm gonna get this thing running good, get a couple timeslips and the motor, tranny, and exhaust will be for sale! Going LS1!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts