Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ImpalaSSforum! I have another Impala SS in need of rescue I'm starting a thread for. It's a '96 that's been in the family since new. Unfortunately it's been sitting for about a decade so it's become a bit of a field-find type project. I intend to keep it mostly stock, and snowball this into a frame-off but it'll be slow-going as I finish my other project car '88 Monte Carlo SS frame-off + LY6/6L90e swap Here

It had sat in the yard for a while and was eventually moved to an outdoor storage situation. Here's how I found it.

Trunk was a bit damp. Looks like from the build-up in the channel

I'll post updates as it goes. First step will be finding some room for it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice find, looks very complete and unmolested. Good luck with the car. Dezrat

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey ImpalaSSforum! I have another Impala SS in need of rescue I'm starting a thread for. It's a '96 that's been in the family since new. Unfortunately it's been sitting for about a decade so it's become a bit of a field-find type project. I intend to keep it mostly stock, and snowball this into a frame-off but it'll be slow-going as I finish my other project car '88 Monte Carlo SS frame-off + LY6/6L90e swap Here

It had sat in the yard for a while and was eventually moved to an outdoor storage situation. Here's how I found it.

Trunk was a bit damp. Looks like from the build-up in the channel

I'll post updates as it goes. First step will be finding some room for it!
let me know if you wanna sell. I'm looking for a 94-96 impala true ss. thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it towed home. Guess our daily drivers didn't need garage space anyway 🤷‍♂️

It was absolutely covered in debris, moss, spiders, you name it.

Couldn't stand to see it like this so I got the pressure washer out straight away. Looks a little better while wet but I'll keep working on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've continued cleaning up so things don't deteriorate any further and so it's not so nasty getting around. I was going to have a nice powerwashing video for you fellow OCD folks out there but I botched it and all that came out were these snapshots :(

Before shot of the interior at the yard I rescued it from:

and after a vacuum and a little scrubbing with some APC (carpet still needs some deep cleaning)

Before shot of the engine bay:

after:

Main plan after the initial clean-up is to get it running so I can move it around under it's own power. Got it up on stands and I started going through the usual steps for a car that's been sitting for an extended period:
  • Dropped the fuel tank, drained the old fuel, installed a new GM pump and sock. Also hit the surface rust with POR
  • Installed new spark plugs (what a pain in the ass) and fogged the cylinders while I was at it
  • New fuel filter
  • New air filter, the K&N was gnawed on it seems
  • Drained most of the coolant and refilled with new (I'll do a full flush when I get it running)
  • Changed the oil and filter

I did crank it over to see if it would start up. It didn't start but it turned over pretty smoothly, so that's good! However, I'm going to have to troubleshoot the fuel pump further as I'm not even hearing it prime.

Dropped the tank

hit the rusty spots with some POR:

Cleaned up the tank and swapped the pump:

Re-installed the tank:

Also, the interior lights are staying on most of the time so I did a little research on the forums and ended up pulling the convenience module. Lights turned off so I'll clean it up and see what happens.

We'll see how winter goes here in Chicago but, more updates to come!

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,356 Posts
Chicago?

Who are you? 🤔

1 - 8 of 8 Posts