Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. The steering wheel in my 96 SS bends in my hands like licorice or plastic. I would like to swap my airbag into a steering wheel that does not bend and is solid. I don't care if the wheel is in rough shape because I'm wrapping it. I just need it strong and firm. Does anyone know where I can get a grey wheel?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
where are you located? you could put up a post on the for sale page. also facebook has several for sale pages and you could score a nice one there.i think i got one but gonna have to look.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'm located in Northville Michigan. Unfortunately, I do not have Facebook. If you could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it and PayPal you immediately. This "bendy" steering wheel is driving me nuts. As I mentioned, the replacement steering wheel does not need to be mint because I'm wrapping it anyways. I just need a strong core and a steering wheel whose rim does not bend. And it must be grey and fit a 96 SS.

For some reason, I cannot post in the for sale threads. Perhaps because I'm a new member??

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I have a Gray wheel from a 96 9C1 I'm parting. It's in VG shape and could send you pics if needed. Would like $75 plus shipping and would include the Airbag as well.

Before going with an Aftermarket Wheel, I had my old wheel and picked up a Gray Leather Cover for it and when done looked like like the Leather Wrapped Impala wheel.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Gray wheel from a 96 9C1 I'm parting. It's in VG shape and could send you pics if needed. Would like $75 plus shipping and would include the Airbag as well.

Before going with an Aftermarket Wheel, I had my old wheel and picked up a Gray Leather Cover for it and when done looked like like the Leather Wrapped Impala wheel.

Where are u friend? I would like to buy that steering wheel. :D

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Where are u friend? I would like to buy that steering wheel. :D
Oh, I'm still here. :smile2: Just didn't realize you were in a hurry but sounds like you may be. I did take a picture of it last night for you while getting some pictures of other items on the car.

Yes, the wheel is still where it was installed probably 21 Years ago and I need to remove it. I'll see if I can get some time tonight and get it removed but have someone stopping out tonight to pick up the Engine so may not get to it.

Let me know your timing for this and how quickly you need it and I'll keep you posted on the status. Once I get it removed and boxed up, I'll take it to the Post Office to get a ship quote to your location. SO I can get an accurate ship quote, please PM me your full name and Address and I'll reply to you with a total and we can figure out Paypal then. Sound good?

Attached it the pic. It's the standard wheel with what I guess is a textured Vinyl and the color is worn in spots on the ring but the rest of the wheel has no where. This is similar to the wheel I had before going with an Aftermarket wheel. That wheel I covered with a Gray Leather Cover and when done it looked almost as good as the impala Leather wrapped wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are u friend? I would like to buy that steering wheel.
Oh, I'm still here.
Just didn't realize you were in a hurry but sounds like you may be. I did take a picture of it last night for you while getting some pictures of other items on the car.

Yes, the wheel is still where it was installed probably 21 Years ago and I need to remove it. I'll see if I can get some time tonight and get it removed but have someone stopping out tonight to pick up the Engine so may not get to it.

Let me know your timing for this and how quickly you need it and I'll keep you posted on the status. Once I get it removed and boxed up, I'll take it to the Post Office to get a ship quote to your location. SO I can get an accurate ship quote, please PM me your full name and Address and I'll reply to you with a total and we can figure out Paypal then. Sound good?

Attached it the pic. It's the standard wheel with what I guess is a textured Vinyl and the color is worn in spots on the ring but the rest of the wheel has no where. This is similar to the wheel I had before going with an Aftermarket wheel. That wheel I covered with a Gray Leather Cover and when done it looked almost as good as the impala Leather wrapped wheel.
Yup I'll take it! PM sent....

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Got it removed and it pulled off easily and is in great shape. The only Color wear is around the ring/grip but a Nice Leather Gray cover will take care of that. >:). I'll see if I can get some time tomorrow and get to the PO.

I'll let you know once I get a ship quote. Thx.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it removed and it pulled off easily and is in great shape. The only Color wear is around the ring/grip but a Nice Leather Gray cover will take care of that.
. I'll see if I can get some time tomorrow and get to the PO.

I'll let you know once I get a ship quote. Thx.
Thanks Sir! I already got the leather cover. :D

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Thanks Sir! I already got the leather cover. :D
Nice, sounds like you're all ready then. This wheel is not flimsy at all....Rock Solid. I happened to find some old pics of my original 95 Wheel with a Gray Leather Cover I installed. I sold this wheel to a member here back after my Grant Wheel install. The cover was still in great shape, but was starting to show some wear after many years and a LOT of miles. It's pretty obvious where I usually grab the wheel. :grin2:

I'm no expert when it comes to installing these covers but if you take your time, they can actually turn out pretty nice. The quality of cover you get can also help too. I think the 1 I got at the time was about $40 but it was "Wheel" worth it in fit, style and performance....it really held up well. The pics will give you an idea of how your new wheel will look once you install your cover. Don't worry, yours will have the AB installed.

BTW - Just got a nice box for this and will get it packaged well and see if I can't hit the PO on my way home or at lunch. Will check back with a total....

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Sir! I already got the leather cover.
Nice, sounds like you're all ready then. This wheel is not flimsy at all....Rock Solid. I happened to find some old pics of my original 95 Wheel with a Gray Leather Cover I installed. I sold this wheel to a member here back after my Grant Wheel install. The cover was still in great shape, but was starting to show some wear after many years and a LOT of miles. It's pretty obvious where I usually grab the wheel.

I'm no expert when it comes to installing these covers but if you take your time, they can actually turn out pretty nice. The quality of cover you get can also help too. I think the 1 I got at the time was about $40 but it was "Wheel" worth it in fit, style and performance....it really held up well. The pics will give you an idea of how your new wheel will look once you install your cover. Don't worry, yours will have the AB installed.

BTW - Just got a nice box for this and will get it packaged well and see if I can't hit the PO on my way home or at lunch. Will check back with a total....
Thanks man! My cover looks similar to that. I just sent out my seat belts to have them restored. I found a place by searching the forums. The fresh steering wheel will complete my all new interior. I may have my headliner done in suede next.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
It's ready to ship and I just PM'd you the payment options and will wait for payment. If I see it soon enough today, I should be able to stop at the PO on the way home and will then send you Track info. Thx.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Got it...thx.

I just stopped and got it shipped out and the USPS track info is.....#9505 5117 5311 7264 0734 79. Looks like you may see it Saturday, let me know that you got it and all looks good.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the wheel, cleaned it up, wrapped it and installed it. It's absolutely perfect. My all new interior is finally complete. It's cleaner than a bowl of bleach. Thanks a lot! I'll post pics later.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Ahhhh, recycling at its best and the wheel lives to turn another day. Glad to hear it survived the Journey.

Let me know if there are other parts you need as I still have most of the car along with the interior.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Ahhhh, recycling at its best and the wheel lives to turn another day. Glad to hear it survived the Journey.

Let me know if there are other parts you need as I still have most of the car along with the interior.
So now you're rudderless. Time to steer away from this and chart new territory. :grin2: Ha

Mark: Snowman-33

1 - 20 of 23 Posts