Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I have HPTuners and have used it to help tune my truck and a couple of other vehicles but I know it does not work on the Imp.
HPTuners would work, if you do some kind of 12200411 pcm conversion ...

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
@Marky Dissod Yessir that is correct just meant stock computer. Have not taken the time to see what is involved in that swap. I've thought about doing it but for now I will just let the stock computer do it's thing.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I actually think there could be simpler ways to do a 12200411 conversion than
TorqHead.com
(as in, 12200411pcm, but only one coil and keep the Opti)
but it seems to be the best conversion option presently.

·
Registered
1995 impala ss
568 Posts
I know of two tuners that can tune 96’s Steve Devillier on Facebook and Moe bailey. If you do the 411 pcm swap I strongly suggest Brandon strong of Strong speed works.

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
0411 Swap would not be until next year most likely. Trying to avoid spending the big bucks on an engine that I don't know how much longer will live in the car.

Then again a near stock, but improved, daily driver would be very nice.

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
Bought some headers from SHOCKNM on here and they arrived. I stated it in my header thread but going to remind everyone here that with these FLP 4-1s I will need to mess with the oil filter location. I am thinking I can run the short PF454 filter and it should be alright. I will massage the headers as needed.

Tomorrow I will be dropping them off to be stripped and coated. Also ordering AC Delco 3 platinum spark plugs and the PF454 filter from RockAuto. Should get here sometime next week. Getting the EGR block off plates from hawksmotorsports, they say they are out of South Carolina but some of their item descriptions read like they are out of China.

Edit: Everything is ordered. I also decided to get two GM Genuine exhaust manifold gaskets instead of whatever Fel-Pro gaskets I bought previously. I prefer MLS to fiber. Did not get around to getting them coated though, forgot them on my couch leaving the house this morning, hopefully sometime this week

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Bought some v band clamps for whoever does my mid pipe they will need to weld them up. Hopefully they can do it without warping the flange. The FLP headers have the female flange but not the male so I went ahead and bought the whole kit of stainless. Just need to find an exhaust shop to do the work...

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Dropped off the headers for coating on Monday, should have them back next week or early the week after. V-band clamps I bought are barely too small, the flanges do not mate up with the headers so I guess I am going to leave it to the exhaust shop to figure it out. What I can do is put a gasket in the gaps between the flanges and just clamp it. Should work fine I think. I received everything I need for the header install now though so I should be good to go whenever the headers arrive. Just will need a tune and an exhaust shop to connect headers to the rest of the exhaust.

Also thanks to @el_demonio I got some new HVAC control knobs. UNFORTUNATELY they also do not work. They took away the slop that the old knob had but they do not sit all the way in the HVAC module. I am going to pull it sometime and see if maybe something is on the little stalk that is impeding them from sitting correct.

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Forgot to update y'all last weekend but I got the clear corners on. They look damn good if I say so myself.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Also I went to change my reverse lights to LEDs, got some for free, and broke another socket. These bulbs are so old that the bulb just falls out of the little copper housing and it gets stuck in the socket. Basically exactly what happened to my cornering light. I need to order a new socket now.

No updates on the headers yet, will be calling Tuesday morning.

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Got the oil filter adapter and the gasket. Not real sure what the o-ring is for. I am assuming it is just if your filter doesn't have one or..? Weird also that the adapter has a little ridge and the gasket is a donut. Gonna run it I'm not worried.

NAL-88893990 -- Oil Filter Adapter Gasket
SES-3-60-08-900 -- Oil Filter Adapter

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Oil filter adapter and filter on and no leaks with the gasket. I believe that should definitely provide enough room for me.
Took the oil cooler off though and it was milk coming out. I don't really know what that is from, I only drove 40 miles after changing the oil if I remember right. I checked the dipstick and nothing. Also the oil in the filter was fine, just the cooler lines and cooler housing was milky. Gonna just run it.

Headers get picked up on Friday. Got the cats halfway off but forgot my deep sockets at the house so did not get to the studs.

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Automotive lighting Automotive design Grey Automotive exhaust Sculpture

Not the best pic but finally got these back from the coaters. I have basically everything off the car for the headers except for a couple manifold bolts. I am considering pulling the intake to replace the gasket and clean it up since I believe I am leaking oil from there.

Still crossing my fingers I don’t need to pull heads to take out broken manifold bolts :(

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Ordered a new backup bulb socket since it is Amazon prime day. AC-Delco LS253
Hopefully I can get it installed tomorrow or Wednesday. I have not made any progress on the headers, still need to pull the manifolds off. If I am unable to take out the manifold bolts then I will pull the heads and do head gaskets, ARP bolts and intake manifold gasket. That is the main reason I am waiting on ordering the intake manifold gasket so I can do one big bulk order.
I also will do the throttle body coolant hose delete at the same time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keep up the good work.
Reading your thread is like reliving my current build to a Tee. Just installed my headers yesterday. Welding in CAT delete pipes tonight..........Coolant bypass, oil line replacement/ modify for -6 hyd hose.........

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Gas

Heads are going to be coming off. I have no way to get this one out so I am just going to pull them and take them to a machine shop.

Will purchase head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, ARP bolts, intake manifold gaskets. Anything else I may be forgetting?

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Ordered Dan's SSRI. My current intake is being held on by zipties, pretty tired of that BS. Went ahead and picked it up. I've gotten a ton of parts for this thing as well

61 - 76 of 76 Posts