Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had this posted before and it got lost in the BIG crash. Not sure if this is sticky worthy, but could be helpful to someone out there. Another member just was asking me about any info on my console swap. I was fortunate and had all the pieces:

Console, Shifter, Floor Bracket, Shifter & Lock Cables, both Trans Brackets, Ignition Keys and the Steering Column assembly in a kit I bought from Contemporary Corvette (Great guys to deal with) in Bristol, PA. The overall swap of parts is pretty much bolt on and I wanted to swap the column and not just cut off the shift lever, patch and paint my old column. This to me seems like even more work then just swapping the column out. Besides, it looks more stock and I still have the original column to go back to or sell :>) Plus this allows you to remove the shift linkage at the Firewall and clean up the Engine Bay a bit. Below is a copy of a previous reply I sent. Hope this helps someone else attempting this swap.....Bob
===================================================

Here's how you would swap a shift column over to the floor shift column. Very easy and worth doing it right if you're putting in a Floor Shift. First, get rid of the linkage at the firewall going down near the drv. side cat, you wont need it anymore. Leave the silver bracket/cup that the linkage pivots in as this I think is a heat shield too. The actual column replacement is pretty straight forward.

All the wires are the same except for the Neutral Switch. On the column setup it is mounted to the base of the column and shifter setup is mounted to the Shifter. The column has 5 wires and the shifter has 6 wires. The 5 wires on the column consited of 3 connectors and one of the connectors had a "SINGLE" green wire. The wiring is:

Column --------------> Shifter
Orange ---------------> Orange
Black -----------------> Black
Backup Pink -----------> Backup Pink & Purple
Backup Green ---------> Backup Green
"SINGLE" Green --------> Yellow

Also you will need to wire up the Parking Brake Solenoid from the column to the shifter. Prevent the shifter button from working until you press the brake pedal. You'll hear this click and find it pretty easy on the column when you press the Brake Pedal. One last thing is your "Pass Key" may have a different code. So check the original key's resistance and get a key made to match and fits the "96 column.

Everything works fine except it could turn over while in Gear. You could wire in a relay to prevent this. But dont think I've ever turned off my car without putting it in Park first.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
need to be a sticky.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts