Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just bought her this truck 1500 series 4x4 w,5.7l gas. It is in nice shape w/ 200k miles on it. I just did ft rotors and pads (Wagner Thermo-Quiet) and adjusted the rear, then bled the whole thing. Her complaint before I did all of this was a "mushy" pedal. I noticed the orange connector on the ABS module was unplugged (ABS light on dash was not on either) so I plugged it in and the next day she claimed the brakes felt MUCH better until she was sitting at a red light and the pedal started to shudder and sunk much closer to the floor for no reason. I thought that if ABS did not work (as it is in my 95 caprice...bad wheel sensor) that the brakes still worked normally but in the case of this Sub, that is not what is happening, anyone else gone through this? Is this common? do I need a new/used ABS module? What other vehicles could I try and source one from? TIA, Jeremy

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hmm. I give up. I referred to the troubleshooting section in my ASE brakes book, and under the ''Brake Pedal Goes to Floor Intermittently'' there was something that kinda made sense, but not totally. It says that there could be debris in the ABS hydraulic actuator.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hmm. I give up. I referred to the troubleshooting section in my ASE brakes book, and under the ''Brake Pedal Goes to Floor Intermittently'' there was something that kinda made sense, but not totally. It says that there could be debris in the ABS hydraulic actuator.
they are known for abs sensors failing and causing the problem you are stating. pedal goes to floor,feedback during backing and making noise. did you clean the sensors. check air gap of abs sensor to tone wheel. best way is to find a buddy with computer for abs. also now can get tester for abs from sears. also with that kind of mileage check to make sure intake gasket is not leaking, will use coolant.overheat etc.hope thisw helps

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I was able to pull codes on my Tahoe's ABS with a paper clip, no computer needed.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which pins on diag. plug? Will it give me x light flashes and what do the flashes mean? I can get an ABS controller w/ pump attatched (used, 90k miles) for 195$cdn. (180$ish US) Should I do this first or do like "limp impg" suggested and tackle wheel sensors first? If I do buy part from wrecker and it is not that, they will give me "store credit" upon return of part. Thanks for all your help guys, I don't have a lot of money but this is my wife and babies DD and I want them to be safe, especially as the bad weather approaches! TIA, Jeremy

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Well... damn...

I just checked the book, and it says you CANNOT retrieve the codes without a scan tool on a '98, even though the unit is the same.:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.