Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to put an axle from a 94 9c1 I am parting into the 95 craplac. It has 3.73, detroit true trac, and yukon axles. I realize I will lose abs, and tc. I also realize the fleetwood is a 4 channel abs car.

So my question is about the brake lines. I guess I should use the fleetwood fitting that bolts to the top of the axle? And run brake lines to each caliper? Does anybody know the thread/flare for that fitting?

The 9c1 axle had new hard lines all the way to the caliper. No soft line at the caliper. I know thats not right, but it is the craplac. Will just make servicing the brakes harder. To use this though, I would need to plug one of ports on that fitting on top of axle. And probably cut off the fitting on the brake line and install the correct fitting and reflare. There should be enough slack if this way is possible.

Any help?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
You MUST have hoses going to the calipers. If you run hard line straight to the calipers, they will not be able to float and will not compensate for brake pad wear. Your pedal will get lower and lower as the brake pads wear to the point where the pedal will hit the floor before you have full braking power.

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
....my question is about the brake lines. I guess I should use the fleetwood fitting that bolts to the top of the axle? And run brake lines to each caliper? Does anybody know the thread/flare for that fitting?

The 9c1 axle had new hard lines all the way to the caliper. No soft line at the caliper. I know thats not right, but it is the craplac. Will just make servicing the brakes harder. To use this though, I would need to plug one of ports on that fitting on top of axle. And probably cut off the fitting on the brake line and install the correct fitting and reflare. There should be enough slack if this way is possible.

Any help?

Thanks.
Are you going to continue to use the two lines between frame and rear axle?

I can provide a hybrid axle hard line setup that has the correct bends and end fittings for the frame hose connections - they are M10x1.0 and M12x1.0--the flare design is ISO "bubble" flare.

You would need to use the bracket on top of the Fleetwood housing, which I think you can transfer over to the Caprice housing. This will provide the proper hose mounting to retain the two hoses running from the frame to axle--even if ABS is not functional, the fluid path from the ABS unit will be via both lines to actuate the rear brakes.

The outer ends of these hard lines are made to match the Caprice & Impala rear disc configuration, to install the needed rubber hose connections to the floating calipers.

These lines are part of the FW rear disc conversion kit I've put together for others over the past 10 or more years.

PM or e-mail me if you are interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts