Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are axles in my 94 9c1 the same as a drum brake axle out of a older 9c1 .i am asking this because i am going to rebuild my rear end and i have a drum brake rear with good axles.my axles may be torn up on the wheel bearings.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just for clarification, this is about an 8.50" axle assembly. 7.625" axles can't be mixed with a 8.50 differential.

As far as 9C1 axles, I "think" they are the same as far as "Fit/Form/Function", but in the GM book they are different P/N's, and I don't know why. I'm pretty sure the axle flange to backing plate flange distance is the same, so exchanging the axles should work without a hitch since they are the same length and the bearings are the same size.

I will speculate that the disc brake axle uses a slightly longer wheel stud, since the disc brake rotor hat is slightly thicker than the drum brake. As far back as 91 or 92, all axles used 12mm studs, though 1990 and earlier used 1/2", and before 1989, the axles were 28 spline instead of 30--all pre-91 HD are 5x5 stud pattern, and all 91-96 are, too. The only other possiblity is that the flange diameter itself is larger on the drum brake axles, unless I've missed something either VERY subtle or so obvious that its like "well, I assumed...."

When you say "older", how far back are you talking, as far as the donor axle? Different P/N could be something as simple as a change in supplier.

Maybe SPARTUS could shed some light on this question.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Bill, my light bulb is burned out on this one.

I just recently went to the dealership and purchased new axles for my car.. I didn't have an actual part#, so we went through the parts listings and found a SEO police package rear axle for 94-96 and that is the part I went with. I still have yet to pull the old ones out and compare length. But according to the GM computer, they are shorter. Gosh I hope so.

-Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.