Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate the chrome trim on my 95 9c1. I was wondering what is the process of delting it. The car is black so im going for a stealth look....jus got some impala wheels that im going get powder coated black. ;)

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
The trim around the windows is the major problem, because it is half plastic, and the plastic is molded to the chrome. Some of the forum member have taped the window chrome. The rest should be able to be powdercoated. Another option for the wheel opening trim is to get Impala trim and paint it to match. The bottom door trim can be scuffed and painted, or the trim from a RMS will fit, but may have to be painted as well. I have a set of bottom trim that is flat black, but the driver's door has a couple of small dings in it. The door lock bezels could be scuffed, or you could get a lock set from an Impala. The door handles from an Impala could also be painted to match, even if they are not the right color. The grill will probably be your most difficult change. You might consider an Impala grille, because it is painted, and therefore can be repainted with the least amount of trouble.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The chrome and painted trim on the side can be pulled off by cutting the tape on the back side with a scraper blade very carefully and removing the remaining tape in a number of different ways i.e.-Eraser wheel which is like $30,your thumbs and a heat gun,ive heard some ppl using Goo Gone or whatever but ive never really had good luck with that.The wheel well trim is basically the same as the impalas except that is chrome and rubber sort of like how the window trim is and can be scuffed and painted over.The bottom door trim can be scuffed and painted also.The window trim can be taped off and then cleaned with rubbing alcohol or surface cleaner and sprayed with Adhesion promoter before being painted also.-JoeJoe

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Back in black

I have a Black Caprice myself. I pulled the bottom rocker moldings, chrome trim rings from the taillights and lock bezels and had them powder coated black. This holds up the best for the rockers which take a beating.

Also picked up a black Imp grill and door handles. I painted the Chrome plastic strip on the trunk lid Black. But this can chip off and I also used Black electrical tape to cover this piece on the trunk. I also replaced the Chrome Bumper strips on the front and rear bumpers and removed all of the Chrome/Black belt molding that used to tun the perimeter of the car and just used black door spears on the doors. Also removed the original dual red pinstripe that ran the perimeter of the car.

I have seen blackout kits on ebay to cover the chrome window trim. Personally, I like the Chrome window trim since it gives the car just the right amount of bling and looks stock. Along with Chrome Imp wheels it looks perfect. However, with your black wheels it may look cool blacked out. Careful though Eli, with no Chrome on the car someone may think your a Menonite :)

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Just so you're aware of it, Olds Custom Cruiser wagons have painted door handles. Some Roadmaster wagons have black lower trim that will fit the doors on a Caprice and a TON of late model GMs like Luminas come with a fixed mast antenna that's black in color with a black bezel......

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.