Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am exploring the posibility of trading in my 91 RM wagon for a 95 DCM LT1 RM wagon. But before I do...

I have the 1992 9C1 certified digital cluster in my wagon. It works flawlessly and I made an wiring adapter to make it plug-n-play. I'm sure the dealership won't care about this and would probably prefer the original cluster anyways. Would any of you be interested in this if/when I get rid of the 91? I can't use it in the 95 RM or in any other of my cars. The 9C1 cluster currently shows around 150k miles but it in excellent condition (no glaring defects. I don't think it has any but just in case it does, I don't want to mislead. And the trip odometer resets on the first push).

For those that don't know, the 9C1 cluster is the same physical dimention as the Buick clusters and feature a digital speed readout where the speedo dial is on the Buick. All others are analog guages the same size and location as the Buick. Digital numbers are bluer than the buick radio display. Speedo is MPH only. You will lose the "CRUISE" light, and the "GATE AJAR" will be replaced by "DOOR OPEN".

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I believe this fits in the 91-93 caprices too. If I am right about that I would definatly be interested. I was going to get some clusters from 3 cop cars in a junkyard in NY the next time I go home but if you have one done I would like to talk about it.

Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
booth9c1ss: How did you make the wiring adapter to make it plug and play?I have a 9c1 cluster from a 92 and im going to put it in my 92 civi.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does go into Caprices too, if you swap out the dash too. I put this here because I already have the wiring adapter made to work in a Buick wagon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the plugs are different on the Buick and the Chevy?

If that is the case I will just start from scratch with the clusters that I know are in the junkyard.

Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plugs are exactly the same on the Buick and the Chevy 9C1, just wired differently. The civi Chevy has a different (single) plug.
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've done the deed, only it's a 94 white Caprice woody (LT1) instead of the the 96 DCM (the place wanted $11.5k!). So the cluster and conversion are now available. I would prefer that this go to a Roadmaster wagon rather that a caprice because of the work I put into making the harness adapter. This adapter is plug-n-play. The only other wire you need is the brown wire at the top of the headlight switch. I added two additional optional leads: The clust provides LOW OIL and LOW COOLANT lights, but no circuitry. if you have the low fluid warning center in the middle of your dash, you could solder these leads into the appropriate lamp bases to provide cluster warning (not that those lights aren't bright and annoying enough). Email me if you're interested at [email protected]. I'd like to get $75 (plus shipping) for the cluster and adapter (this is much cheaper than those doing the Camaro "Z" cluster).

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone have the wiring diagram to put a Roadmaster cluster in a 91' Caprice wagon? I have already asked inthe Electical dept. :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go to the dealership and ask to see the FSM for those cars (the same book would cover both cars) and copy the wiring diagrtams for both. Then make an adapter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.