Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have my oil temp sender threaded into the block above the oil filter adapter(see top circle in red) and will be adding an Electrical oil pressure gauge to the car as well.
I’d prefer to keep using the oil pressure port and sender on the top LH side of the motor for my functioning factory dash gauge.

Can I use the port on the side of the oil filter adapter(bottom red circle) for either pressure or temperature? Does anyone know what size those threads are?
Would that port be hot engine oil outbound to the cooler? Or “cold” inbound oil on the way back from the cooler?

I’m guessing hot oil comes out of the pan, through the cooler, then sent into the block?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I don't know the specific answer to your question, but the oil flows from the oil pump into the outside of the oil filter and out of the center of the oil filter to the engine. I assume the oil cooler is fed from the oil pump and returns downstream of the oil filter.

With this bit of knowledge, can you look at the parts and figure out which line is the supply to the oil cooler and return from the oil cooler?

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
I don't know thread size, but the adapter itself has the flow directions labeled on the casting.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Port on the block at the rear of the intake manifold is 1/8" NPT.
Port on the block above the oil filter is 1/4" NPT.
Yes, the adapter has 'in' and 'out' cast in.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ken! I’m thinking that port on the outside Of the adapter would be not that great for oil temp OR pressure given the fact that it’s right next to the inbound oil.... unless that inbound oil is what’s then going directly into the valve train and rotating assembly?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know the specific answer to your question, but the oil flows from the oil pump into the outside of the oil filter and out of the center of the oil filter to the engine. I assume the oil cooler is fed from the oil pump and returns downstream of the oil filter.

With this bit of knowledge, can you look at the parts and figure out which line is the supply to the oil cooler and return from the oil cooler?
If the outboard side of that adapter is the return (IN) from the cooler, can you tell if it then goes straight into the engine? That seems like it’d make the most sense? If so, maybe that wouldn’t be a bad place for the temp gauge since I can’t put the temper sender in the pan.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
That all depends on what oil temp you want to monitor. Seems to be a bit of variation on this subject - some want middle of the oil pan volume, others want out of the oil pump, others want turbo drain (if you have one), etc. I would go with the drain plug or end of the dipstick myself - wherever it is, there needs to be flow going past the tip of the temperature sensor and the sensor shouldn't be a significant blockage of flow (use a small sensor).

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I’m curious what you mean by “end of dipstick” ?

I have a Subaru which uses a big ol’ oil drain plug, so I drilled and tapped for the temp sender in that car.
Put a temp sensor on the end of the dipstick. It reaches down into the oil easily toward the center of the oil volume.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Put it in oil level sensor boss ?
The thought crossed my mind, but I have no idea what size or thread that is? Any chance you might?

Put a temp sensor on the end of the dipstick. It reaches down into the oil easily toward the center of the oil volume.
I still don't see how that'll.... fit? Maybe I'm not picturing it....

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
I've only re&re'd a few , no drama.
Original was steel , wasnt it ?

Edit, if you are asking if the female thread in the pan is plastic, I have not seen that myself.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've only re&re'd a few , no drama.
Original was steel , wasnt it ?

Edit, if you are asking if the female thread in the pan is plastic, I have not seen that myself.
On my OE '95 motor, the low oil level sensor hex head on the outside of the pan was a white plastic piece, similar to this:

I'll have to look at the part on the '96 motor I just installed, but I could swear that it is also plastic. No worries. At least it shouldn't be seized being plastic and more or less covered in oil.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
When it was an LT1

If you look above my drain plug you can see the steel hex on mine. My car is a 1995 but early ( assembled 94 )

·
Registered
480 Posts
Here are more photos of the oil filter adapter.

engine side

filter side

outside. Note that the port under the 1/4" pipe plug does NOT intersect with the 'IN' port. That passsage goes across the adapter.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts